Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axolotl - Please help!!!! :(

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Dear all,

I'm sorry for bothering again. My axolotl was floating for 2 days in her tank (today she floated upside down for a couple of times). According to advice I decided to put it in a shallow water tank in order to reduce her stress and hopefully heal. I'm scared because she really didn't react when I moved her... I mean she's alive but no reaction when touched and she had the "neck part" inflated (her abdomen as well). In addition I just noted a slight skin flake on the right side of the cloaca region (you should be able to see it in the photo in attachment.... close to the right back limb). I really don't know what to do since I didn't change anything in the last period. She's reabsorbing eggs for the first time, she's 1,2-1,3 years old. I'm really worried :( I don't want to lose her...please help :(

Link to my previous post: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...k-axolotl/99602-my-axolotl-doesnt-move-p.html

Thanks in advance your advice and help :(:(:(:(

Attachments

• foto(4).jpg
    foto(4).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 394

xxianxx

Reaction score
I noticed the swollen neck in your other post, it can be indicative of a bacterial infection/septacemia. This animal needs to be seen by a herp vet.

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I called a vet and I fixed for tomorrow morning (it's night now here and he cannot see her). I really hope she will survive for the night. Any advice? :(:(

Dicranurus

Reaction score
She was again upside down and I noticed that the neck part is red of blood under the skin... :( I don't know what to do

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Dear all,

Cassandra died during the night. I'm really upset. I had her for 1,5 years and I've dedicated so much love and attention to her during this time. Water was always ok, temperature never above 20°. She always ate her earthworms with joy. I really don't know why she died in only 2 days (probably an infection but apart from floating she didn't have any other external symptom). She always had gills that were not well developed since I had her from the pet shop (Some of you told me she suffered in bad conditions when juvenile). I think she had a good life while with me plenty of love and affection. RIP Cassy :(:(

Thanks for your help and support during these days.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Really feeling for you right now - it is so painful to lose a friend, especially when you are unsure of the cause. My favourite kitten is called Cassandra and she's unwell just now, which is causing me a huge amount of stress, so your post is especially poignant. And I am sure you did give Cassandra a good life while she was with you. Please do not let this put you off axies. Grieve, but then get another one. Or two...

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Sweetie. I really appreciate your kind and sweet words. Much love to your kitten. I hope she'll recover soon!
xoxo

sebguy

Reaction score
I'm sorry for loss,
but Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
:( very sorry bud, it looks like edema which does kill them and it could have been something genetic. You gave her a good life

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1