What about the body?

JustKenna

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you feel like you should do with a dead axolotl? I have never had an axolotl die (thank goodness) but what should I do when one of mine eventually do die? It feels wrong to just throw them away and they are too big to flush down the toilet like a fish. It also seems weird to bury an aquatic animal. For those of you who have had one of your axies die, what did you do with them? For those who haven't had any die, what do you plan to do with them?

First off, never flush any animal down the toilet. It could carry bacteria that can harm wildlife. It also is not the best burial service to say G'bye to our loved ones.
I personally have a little patch set aside in my garden where I bury my pets. As a fishkeeper for many years I find it a comfort to have them all in one place. Thankfully I've jever had to bury an axolotl, but I will when their time comes. Just as I will be buried when my time comes.

Yeah, a little corner of the garden for burying lost pets is ideal. Mine go under my 'Superstar' rose bush - planted for my dad - but now a general memorial bush with a whole heap of stones underneath to prevent foxes digging.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back