Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Poisonous city water? Death of axolotls and worms after water change.

Lady Mizo

Reaction score
I really could use some urgent axolotl help.

3 days ago my boyfriend did a water change on our axolotls and fed them. We have 3 which are kept separately in different tanks. We have had the same care routine for 2 years. Nothing had changed.
Tap water
Aqueon water conditioner
Appropriate time you acclimate to new water.

One had been feed blood worms all of her life. She was 2 years old, but only 4 inches long and looked like a Juvenile. She suffered several injuries and we figure had been stunted...
The point is that she couldn't keep down worms so has had to survive on blood worms and black worms.

We had a male who fed on wigglers.
He was 7 inches long and could 3-4 at a time no problem. Very hearty and aggressive.

We then have our big boy. The 10 inch male. Very social with us big appetite and just wonderful. Eating wigglers and nightcrawlers.

I work at Petco, so the food they need is all safe as far as I'm concerned.

At feeding time the boys get 2 worms and the little one gets a chunk of bloodworms.
The worms will survive in the water up to 7 days if uneaten or even spat back out.

2 days passed and it times for feeding.

The little one being fed blood worms is dead.
The 7inch male eating worms is dead

And the largest male is alive but shredding slime coat, hooked tail and will not stand on his feet.
He is very skinny but did take a worm this morning

When my boyfriend discovered the news...
He also saw the worms uneaten...and said the water smelled like diarrhea and the worms were piles of mucus when he removed them.
They were indeed alive the day of feeding.
All not all 3 were eating the same thing...

It has been raining for the last week or two in my city so I am wondering if something leached into our water.

The one we have left is being kept in 'spring water' from Walmart.
He is still alive and looks better....but

I'm beyond worried.

I am very attached to these guys as it has been 2 years...

Please. Any help anyone can give me.
If you don't use tap water what do YOU use that works as an alternative?

I'm considering setting up a small tank with my Tap water and treat as I normally would, and add some feeder minnows to see how they do.

I'm affraid to use my tap water for my pets to...live in, drink, and for us to deal with.
It's the only thing I can imagine that would have done this...
NOTHING had changed in 2 years and the water conditioner is only a month old.

I cannot lose my boy.

Any help would be appreciated and I can give something in return for any help.
I'm devastated.

The first few pictures are him now. The last few are him before....
There is such a dramatic difference.
Please help.

My email is
Wladymizow@gmail.com

Attachments

• 20141015_224709.jpg
    20141015_224709.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,003
  • 20141015_225115.jpg
    20141015_225115.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 903
  • 20141015_225218.jpg
    20141015_225218.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 687
  • 20140326_104612.jpg
    20140326_104612.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 933
  • 20140321_175807.jpg
    20140321_175807.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 855
  • 20140113_094141.jpg
    20140113_094141.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 914

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Post the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temp of the tank. I'm suspecting the dead axolotls might have changed it a bit but it might help with understanding any causes.

Has anything new been added to the tank within the last few weeks?

In the meantime you can get gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store and use that for your axolotl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cacique

Reaction score
If his slime coat is damaged, Indian almond leaves or a tea bath might help alleviate that, but I'm not experienced with it myself. I hope someone more experienced can help. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your axolotl has a quick recovery.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1