Newby questions

margbooth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was wondering - from the eggs laid on the 9th October, some have already started to look like a longish curved streak, some look like an irregularly shaped ball or bean shaped, some look unchanged. Is it normal for development to be so diverse? does this mean the ones that look unchanged are not going to hatch? they are in a few different tubs, but kept in the same place, so temperature etc, should not be any different.
I have had a practise run on hatching baby brine shrimp, thanks to the tutorial- it worked well. I haven't seen any eggs turn white or fuzzy.
If they are infertile or not going to hatch, when will i be able to tell? or should i just stick them in the freezer, just in case.
I am planning on raising 20 for our first try. Thanks for your responses
. I am so excited, i can hardly wait. I have two boys, aged 11 and 13, so i will have some help. Its really hard, being patient. Thanks again.

The ones that are clearly developing most likely will be the ones that hatch. Sometimes slow developers happen but most cases it's either a bad or unfertilized egg

I have a clutch that was born on the 10th. I've taken out the bad ones already and put them in a separate container. You can clearly see the difference between the good ones and the bad! The bad ones kinda look "scrambled" or some look cloudy. Some just don't develop at all and stay round and start to shrivel after awhile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 312
Oh and here's what the good ones look like so far!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 208
So the eggs laid on 9th October should be hatching any minute now - if they haven't started already!

Jude I got some of these posted to me before we realised they weren't developing. They stayed in circle / almost bean shapes and stopped developing, they were the first lot for the female. So I think it's just because of that. :) the next lot will be better I'm sure :)

I did what the others on here have done. I noticed some eggs seemed to be taking longer than the others to develop, were oddly shaped, or had turned pale or cloudy. I put these in a separate container and none of them developed further, so I threw them away.

It's exciting seeing them change and before you know it you'll have little mouths snapping at the surface of the water for food!

A word of advice, though: always have a food back-up. Once or twice my batch of BBS failed, for whatever reason, and I had to resort to borrowed Daphnia from a person who was raising a couple of his own. I had tried to raise Daphnia myself and failed miserably. I couldn't have coped with not having anything to feed my hungry babies, as they need as much high-quality nutrition as they can get at this stage, so I was glad I had some back-up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back