Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello all!

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to newts and salamanders. But I have always been interested in them, I could never get one because I have always lived in apartments or dorms that don't allow pets of any shape or size.

Any recommended starter newts/salamanders? Thanks for letting me join the forums! :D

Jgreen84

Reaction score
Welcome! I have only had axolotls as pets, but not any other newts or salamanders. I recommend axolotls because they are quite hardy. The difficulty would be with feeding, you need to have pellets, worms, and other food sources. THey like a variety diet. Keep in mind that you will need to purchase many items no matter what pet you buy. For an axolotl, this is a list of what you will need.
Bubbler
tank(10-20 gallon for one axolotl, 50 gallon for 2 adults is what I recommend)
Filter(I use submersible ones so that I can put something in front of it to slow the water flow in the tank)
sand(can use large river rocks but its harder to clean, you cannot use gravel as they can eat it, can use bare bottom tank but that might stress them out when they try to swim)
aquarium decor/plants/hiding spots

Overall, I bought all these items on craigslist used and paid about...
$60 for 2 50 gallon tanks with stand and hood/light
$5 on a bubbler
$4 for play sand that I cleaned out and boiled before pouring in the tank
$20 on hides and decorations
$50 for a high power submersible filter
$4 for a dozen night crawlers from the nearest hunting/fishing store every week
It is a very expensive hobby if you plan on doing it right. I have a whole guppy breeding operation I started and a marbled crayfish breeding operation I began for another food source for the axolotls. These are not recommended foods for the axolotl but I wanted to do it anyways. I tried to farm night crawlers but that FAILED

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Welcome! I have only had axolotls as pets, but not any other newts or salamanders. I recommend axolotls because they are quite hardy. The difficulty would be with feeding, you need to have pellets, worms, and other food sources. THey like a variety diet. Keep in mind that you will need to purchase many items no matter what pet you buy. For an axolotl, this is a list of what you will need.
Bubbler
tank(10-20 gallon for one axolotl, 50 gallon for 2 adults is what I recommend)
Filter(I use submersible ones so that I can put something in front of it to slow the water flow in the tank)
sand(can use large river rocks but its harder to clean, you cannot use gravel as they can eat it, can use bare bottom tank but that might stress them out when they try to swim)
aquarium decor/plants/hiding spots

Overall, I bought all these items on craigslist used and paid about...
$60 for 2 50 gallon tanks with stand and hood/light
$5 on a bubbler
$4 for play sand that I cleaned out and boiled before pouring in the tank
$20 on hides and decorations
$50 for a high power submersible filter
$4 for a dozen night crawlers from the nearest hunting/fishing store every week
It is a very expensive hobby if you plan on doing it right. I have a whole guppy breeding operation I started and a marbled crayfish breeding operation I began for another food source for the axolotls. These are not recommended foods for the axolotl but I wanted to do it anyways. I tried to farm night crawlers but that FAILED

Awesome, I caught wild mud puppies as a child and let them go after catching them, very cool little guys. I'll look into them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1