Question: Just rescued three axolotls... will they grow?

milahoh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last January I bought Lola, my first axolotl, at 2.5 inches from a tiny fish/pond store. In March, I picked up another baby from the same pet store, who had gotten all of their axies from the same clutch of eggs. That same month, I rescued the mother and father of the clutch from the young lady who bred them and sold them to my fish store. This weekend, I visited my home town and decided to visit my friend at the fish store and have another go at persuading him not to breed the siblings from that single clutch he told me he kept "for breeding". When I got there, he told me he had three left but that he was selling them and not getting any more. He "couldn't get them to breed" (the ones he was trying to breed were males) and so he had lost interest. He had them in 80 degree (F) water, and he told me it doesn't hurt them at all. I was shocked!!! He also had them in with snails, and the tanks were so murky and encrusted I couldnt even sex the WT until I pulled her out. He told me they were great with fish.... his ignorance truly knew no bounds. I am glad he said he wasn't going to get more- he was lucky he had three living animals to sell! My first question for you folks is this: will they continue to grow? They are the same clutch as my other two females, but about 1/3 the size. The smallest is about the size of my thumb around, and his body is thinner than his head. They are approaching a year old, will they catch up? And second, they spent 24 hours or so together (2 males and 1 female) in a bucket before being split up again. As small and thin as they are, and as stressful as the bucket probably was, what are the chances of her being pregnant? I will post photos when I can, but my camera is out of batteries. :(

Females will produce eggs when they have enough resources available regardless if there is a male or not. Since they are only a year old they might grow but may never reach their potential size had they been properly cared for. It's probably a good idea to not try breeding the female though.

I am actually not planning on breeding at all, just having males and females separate as pets. Five of my six animals are siblings, actually, so bad candidates for breeding to one another. I have another male, unrelated to any of them, and will actually be getting a couple more this week, hopefully (planned, this time), but I am not really in a place where I want to be breeding right now. I just didn't want to see these guys die, and they certainly would have, eventually, under those conditions. They weren't even on display for purchase; they were in a back room in a building behind the actual store. Poor little things. They all just ate half of a worm each, though, and seem to be settling into their new quarantine tanks well enough. I cannot help but think they are happier now than they were. :rolleyes:

Well balanced nutrition early on is very important for the axie to reach its full potential. But there is a good chance they will still grow at least a little with nutritious food and good environment.
Did you see spermatophores in the bucket where the female and males were? If not then I think it's safe to say there won't be any eggs coming in the near future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back