Do we need lighting?

tcbemis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone... Just wondering... Do you think our spotteds need any light? I know ambient lighting is the best, but without that light on above them, it never really gets even to "dusk" in the basement. The window above the tank gets SOME light, but I don't think enough to let them know it's daytime.

We could leave that bulb on all day and turn it off at night, but I have reservations that the fixture is circa 1944.

Any and all thoughts/advice are welcome!

Also, we have 6 youngsters in there right now (a tunnel for each plus 2 coconut shells), but once our (not to be crass) gerbils, um, aren't around anymore, they'll have a much much bigger enclosure (we need their table space). If "that" doesn't happen soon (they were 2 in April!!!), we'll separate the Sals into 2 tanks.

Anyway... Thanks!
66c3a8f687527a45963ac19b129385a7.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I don't think its absolutely necessary unless there are live plants in the enclosure.

Thanks, that's what we're thinking too. My husband does want plants in the future. If prefer to keep it easy to clean. ?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back