Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can I keep the tank cooler?

Kahili

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My axie is in a 10 gallon tank filled up about half way or so. I live in Hawaii so it gets really hot here and I'm having trouble keeping the tank cool. I've had my axie for around 2 months and he's around 3 months old. Within these couple of months that I've had him, the temperature has been above 70 degrees F. I just got a thermometer this week and the temperature in his tank hits 75 degrees and up at times. Right at this moment the temperature is 78.9 degrees! Crazy! I know this is much too hot for him so I've been placing frozen water bottles in his tank in the afternoons when it's hottest. He doesn't seem to be sick or dying and he is eating well (I feed him sinking carnivore pellets every night). Is it possible for an axolotl to get used to higher temperatures? Are there any other inexpensive methods for keeping the tank cool? I just bought a clip on fan but I'm afraid it's going to fall in and electrocute him because it's a little bigger and heavier than I expected. How long does it take for an axolotl to die from high temperatures? Please let me know. Thank you!!

axys

Reaction score
since its a smaller tank you could but a cheap chiller. they range from 150-400 for the 10 gallon ones depending on where you look. they get ridiculous as soon as you try to find one for bigger tanks.

you could also try a home made chiller using a mini fridge, it can be done for about 100 bucks with a second hand mini fridge from craigslist or where ever. I suggest you look up some videos on how to make a home made chiller out of a mini fridge on youtube it that is something you would consider, they have some very nice detailed explanatory videos tht teach you how and show you everything you need.

i heard and tried the fan over the tank method, personally it didnt work very well for me, it might have reduced it by 1 degree maybe but my tank never goes above 70 degress, since yours gets really hot the affect might be amplified, you could give tht a shot.

keeping the tank cool with a budget always seems to be a problem for people, understandably. Good luck!

yonykins

Reaction score
I got an ice probe on ebay for about 70 USD including shipping. It was cheaper than retail and it works great.

If you can, move the tank to a lower floor. That could drop a few degrees.

Also, if you increase the volume of water, the temperature will be more stable.

Hope that helps!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Whenever I need to cool down tanks I just put a desk fan facing down on the screen lid an that usually drops it a few degrees.
If you don't have a screen lid I would suggest getting one, I doubt an axolotl would be able to escape from one and you can put a small desk fan on the top of it.
I would also add more water, 10 gallons of water is usually always considered the bare-minimum for keeping the water quality and stuff in stable levels.

Kahili

Reaction score
I'll look into the ice probe! I can't move my tank to a lower floor because I live in an upstairs studio. Thanks for your ideas!

I'll look into getting a lid for the tank. A couple weeks ago I found my poor axie on the floor, he jumped out! But that was when I had him in a small glass container.

Right now the tank is filled to about 8 gallons, almost to the top because of the water filter I just installed onto it. I'm sure filling it up more than 5 gallons will help with the temp. Thanks!

Kahili

Reaction score
I got an ice probe on ebay for about 70 USD including shipping. It was cheaper than retail and it works great.

If you can, move the tank to a lower floor. That could drop a few degrees.

Also, if you increase the volume of water, the temperature will be more stable.

Hope that helps!

Hey I just tried to look for an ice probe and I'm not sure what I'm looking for…. Could you send me a link?

yonykins

Reaction score
Here's one on Amazon. I couldn't find one cheaper. If you try the desk fan doesn't do enough, you can also try aquarium cooling fans that are much like computer cooling fans.

But while we're talking fans I think it's important to mention that replacing water that is evaporated is not adequate for water changes. You need to remove water to get nitrates and such out.

allied123

Reaction score
Also that tank is a bit on the small side, if it's available to you you might look into getting a larger tank, and I don't say this to be rude but when I switched my guys from a ten gallon (when they were babies <4 inches) to a 20 gallon long the temperature stayed about 4 degrees cooler because more water takes longer to heat up again. but as you live in hawaii you would probably need more cooling than that I'm guessing.

Kahili

Reaction score
Also that tank is a bit on the small side, if it's available to you you might look into getting a larger tank, and I don't say this to be rude but when I switched my guys from a ten gallon (when they were babies <4 inches) to a 20 gallon long the temperature stayed about 4 degrees cooler because more water takes longer to heat up again. but as you live in hawaii you would probably need more cooling than that I'm guessing.

What's the smallest tank that a full grown axie can live in? Right now he's only about 3 months old so this tank is ok for now. But later on I'm probably going to have to upgrade.

Cacique

Reaction score
If you want your axolotl to have some room to move around I would recommend a 20 gallon long.

kapooey

Reaction score
I will suggest u get a chiller for ur axie. I got one on amazon for about $300 =/ i know it's expensive but its good for them. if u choose to use a chiller remember to run it at least for a night with water just to clear it out. u can also try to use the desk top fan but since u live in Hawaii i am not too sure will that helps out or not=/ do u have a basement? I heard if u place the basement is better for them since it's cooler down there. I think a 10 gallon is ok for 1 axie....i have 2 axie and i have a 20 gallon tank...also since thanksgiving is around the corner just keep an eye on black friday sales and cyber monday:cool:

KCKme

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to Axie's. Before they came we spent a couple of weeks experimenting different methods to keep the tank cool. A must, live in the Houston, TX area and it gets warm here too.

Right now the tank is stabilized at about 66F, without large temperature swings. This was accomplished by placing the tank on a layer of styrofoam and lining the outside of the tank up one inch or so on the sides and about 3 inches in the back. Keeps the cool temps from escaping. We just cut a styrofoam cooler to fit. Also have two tank fans attached.

There is some very good information on this site for cooling ideas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1