Very sick axolotl.

Rochele

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all - I have a very very sick axolotol and I don't know what to do. We have had 2 of them for about 3 months. Up until Monday they were both healthy. Our smallest one, Frozen, has started to grow a white fluffy substance on all 4 limbs. It looks as if her feet are gone and something is growing over her nubs. She hasn't eaten in 5 days. Our other axolotl is very healthy and eating just fine.
And this morning her tail was curled in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 279
Here is another picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 558
First of all you need to get rid of that red gravel - axies sometimes accidentally eat it, and it can kill them if it's gets stuck in their gut.

Your axie is suffering from fungus. You need to start fairly aggressive treatment ASAP - salt baths. Make up a salt solution using 3 teaspoons seasalt per litre, enough to fill a plastic tub big enough to put your axie in. Bathe your axie for 10 minutes twice a day, changing the salt solution each time.

What is the temperature in your tank and what are the parameters?

Ok - I will get the rocks out. What should I put on the bottom in place of?

The water temp is about 60*f. And is a 30 gallon tank. They have plenty of room, I think.

Fine sand is OK, flat slate pieces, or nothing - bare bottom is fine too.

2 in a 30 gal is fine.

Thank you for the input. I will get the salt bath started tonight.

I have been giving my axie salt baths twice a day since Friday evening. So, she has had a total of 6 baths as of this morning. I have also been keeping her in a container in the refrigerator. She seems to be doing better, her color is back, but she still has the fungus on her feet. She seems to have red marks on her belly and on her face. They appear to be going away, but very slowly. How long do you suggest I keep doing this? From what I have read, it can last up to 2 weeks.

Keep up the salt baths until the fungus is gone, and then 2 days longer. The red patches may be irritation from the salt, try cutting down the salt concentration by 1/4.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back