Silly question - but can axolotls bruise?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was feeding my four axolotls the other day, and I noticed Galaxy, the Golden, had a small discoloured bit on her leg, just above her joint. At first, I thought it was a bit of the slightly brown algae I'd recently removed from the tank (I lost my light-guard for a while and a small amount of brown algae had begun to form on the corners). When I looked more closely, however, it was a pale blue/brown colour, and there was a tiny hole that almost looked like a serration.

I'm keeping Gally where she is because I removed her before for tea baths when she hurt her fin, and it actually made her worse. She just seems to hate being away from the others (she thrashes around in her tub, goes pink from stress and just seems generally very unhappy until I place her back in). I water changed on Friday and parameters stand at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate and 6.4 PH, which is what they've been for a good year.

I think she possibly caught herself on a tank ornament. A silly question though: can axolotls bruise? Is this slightly odd colour a bruise or should I be worried about infection? I will try and get a picture soon.

I've also noticed that on the same leg she has a small red spot, right next to her foot, on the bottom. It is a small spot that sticks out, like a pimple. I have a feeling someone may have nipped at her foot.

Should I be worried? She is still eating like a pig and responsive when I come up to the tank.

Yes axies can bruise, the same as almost any other animal. She may have been bitten caught her leg on an ornament, or bumped into something. Keep aneye on it, post pics if it starts to look weird/infected etc.

Thanks Auntiejude. I think the 'pimple' is actually just her foot. She has pink patches in places, including the bottom of her foot. *Facepalms*
She seems well, I really think she just bruised it. Keep cool and eat worms again, chaps!

How's Gally today? Wooper had quite a bad bruise when he had that wound in his side. Throw and Indian Almond leaf in the tank if you have any lying around... It will help! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back