Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my axolotl morphing?

0range

Reaction score
double post

I've had my axolotl for a little over a year and a half and he has progressively been losing his gills. All my water parameters are perfect and he's fed tubifex worms and sinking axolotl pellets. I'm really hoping he isn't morphing. Sorry about the sideways photo I'm trying to post from my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

0range

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for a little over a year and a half and he has progressively been losing his gills. All my water parameters are perfect and he's fed tubifex worms and sinking axolotl pellets. I'm really hoping he isn't morphing. Sorry about the sideways photo I'm trying to post from my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3239.jpg
    IMG_3239.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 465

0range

Reaction score
My temperature is 68 and I've also had my water tested at petsmart just to be positive I was right and it still came up all normal. Could this just be normal for him?

keiko

Reaction score
Post your actual water parameters and maintenance routine and we might be able to tell if there is something that could be done differently that could help with the gills.

allied123

Reaction score
Also not to be rude but it looks like just his gill frills are retreating? (if this is wrong I'm sorry no before and after pics to compare) Are his actual gill stalks the same length they normally are? on the couple pictures of morphing lotls I've seen on this site their actual gill stalks appear to retreat back into their head which doesn't look like what's wrong with your guy? Again please correct me if I'm wrong!

0range

Reaction score
I don't really think his gills are retreating, your right he just doesn't have any frills. His gill stalks look to be about the same from when i got him. I'm not sure if he ever had to many frills to begin with.

My parameters are
ph 7
ammonia 0
nitrate in between 0-20
nitrite 0-0.5
and for maintenance I usually change the water weekly about 20% and hes also in a 20 gallon long tank

Last edited:

keiko

Reaction score
The water parameters seem fine. How often do you test them? I'm just wondering if you sometimes get a reading of 0.5 nitrites then maybe there could be higher peaks occasionally? An insufficient filter could lead to that. What kind of filter do you use and how often do you clean it? Also is the current strong or could he get his gills stuck in the inlet? What kind of water conditioner do you use? Have you tested for chlorine/chloramines?

0range

Reaction score
I usually test my parameters monthly and I also either hand feed him or feed him in a bowl.
I'm currently using a aqua clear 50 gallon filter on the 20 gallon tank. The current was pretty strong so last month I added some things to help block it, luckly I've never seen him stuck to the inlet but I'm going to cover it with some thing after thinking about that. I also always use dechlorinator and stress coat. Is it possible for an axolotl to just not get the nice red frills?

keiko

Reaction score
The amount of the gill filaments of a healthy axolotl can vary a lot due to several reasons, but I've never seen a healthy axolotl completely without them for no reason, unless it was because of an earlier trauma. But I'm not a vet so who am I to say that can't happen. :p

If I were you I'd test the water a couple of times a week for a month or so to check if there are any ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes during that time. 50 gallon filter in a 20 gallon tank can cause very strong current so I'd add a spraybar (if it's possible) and try to block it as much as possible and try covering the inlet too just in case. Does the stress coat contain aloe vera? I've heard of cases where the aloe vera is suspected to cause some problems with axies so maybe try leaving it out too.

And hopefully this question doesn't need to be asked, but just to make sure: are there any other animals in the tank that could be nipping the gills?

0range

Reaction score
The currents pretty much gone now after blocking it off a bit and luckly he's got the whole tank to himself. I'm gonna start to test the water weekly and see if anything spikes, he also goes up for air a lot, I hope he grows them back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1