Male or Female??

Rachelkayt

Reaction score
Country
United States
So for the longest time I've been calling my axolotl a "he" but recently I'm starting to think that "he" may be a "she"! He is about 6 1/2 inches long, toes not yet dark but I'm not seeing a big bulg yet....just need some expert advice! Also, "his" body is a lot shorter and more plump than a males...but maybe I'm just feeding him too much? PLEASE HELP/RESPOND

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 170
It's too small to sex now. Do you know when it was born? Darkened toes don't mean they are mature, just that they are older. You'll have to wait longer to find out.

No I don't know when he/she was born. I bought him from a local pet store who shipped him in for me so I don't know. I was guessing maybe 6 months but I'm not completely sure. Here are better pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 127
And another since it didn't upload earlier. He may even be 7 inches now cause he was about 6 a month ago and he's grown ALOT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 139
Hmm, I see a small bump. But that could mean either. If the bump continues to grow, you might have a male. But Like I said, there isn't really point in doing this now, you can't tell now. Wait about another 3-5 months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back