Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

• Axolotls are illegal in California. Please read this thread for detailed information and links to the actual laws: https://www.caudata.org/threads/axolotls-are-illegal-in-california-here-are-the-relevant-laws.30779/
  • Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

How long can axolotls be out of the water for?

Kahili

Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm not asking this because I'm going to take my axie out of the tank.

I was wondering because a few weeks ago, I came home and I found my axolotl on my living room floor. He had jumped out of his tank. There was a wet/slimy spot on the ground just below his container (he was living in a large glass pyrex container for a little while when he was smaller) and I found him about a foot away from that spot (he had apparently wiggled his way around the carpet). I immediately put him back in his container and he was fine. I was out of the house for about 3 hours or so and I have no idea how long he was on the floor for. How long could he have lasted out of water? Because this accident really concerned me and I'm wondering if I made it in just the nick of time...

I also want to know if you guys know why axolotls jump out of their tanks sometimes. I've heard of other axies doing this, is it because they're unhappy? My boyfriend told me it's because he was trying to commit suicide... D: Let me know!

Thanks!

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Axolotls aren't the smartest animals. They lived in a lake that was up to give feet deep or more so sometimes they rocket to the top in 12 inches of water and overshoot the distance. Sometimes they spook themselves up and out.
They can survive outside of the water for quite a bit as long as they are moist and don't dry out.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I lost one who jumped out - the bigger they are the better chance they have of recovering. A couple of hours shouldn't be too much of a problem. And it's a good idea to get a lid!

Kahili

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I know they have tiny little lungs and gulp air sometimes so I figured they could last out of water for a while.

texa

Reaction score
I had one of mine jump out too, I'm pretty sure he just got a fright somehow and swam so hard at the surface he dislodged the tank cover and landed on the floor! He was on the floor for about 5 minutes, I couldn't find him because he had squirmed all the way under the couch. Stress!
Safe to say I now have a super secure metal lid....

Kahili

Reaction score
I had one of mine jump out too, I'm pretty sure he just got a fright somehow and swam so hard at the surface he dislodged the tank cover and landed on the floor! He was on the floor for about 5 minutes, I couldn't find him because he had squirmed all the way under the couch. Stress!
Safe to say I now have a super secure metal lid....

Aww, poor thing! Good thing you were able to find him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1