Do all melanoids have white tummys?

axys

Reaction score
Country
United States
One week ago i received my lovely melanoid gfp juvenile in the mail. The breeder said his/her parents are both wild type and one of them is GFP. Im not very educated on axolotl genetics but from what i understand it is possible to have melanoids from both wildtype parents. Her eyes would be all black except the middle looks green, im guessing from the gfp? there is no shiny ring around the black of the eye either.

my main question is regarding their stomach surface, is it normal for axolotls to be one color pattern on top and another at the bottom? she is greyish melanoid up top and completely leuc/white on the ventral surface. Also do most gfps or half gfps have the greenish "pupil" looking part in the middle of their eyes?

Attachments

• antigone1.jpg
    antigone1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 195
  • antigone2.jpg
    antigone2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 145
  • antigone3.jpg
    antigone3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 139
Yes. Gfp animals have green pupils. And melanoids as well as other dark wild types have lighter stomachs usually and may darken as they get older or depending on lighting/substrate. Melanoids do not have the shiny ring around the eyes and while yours is gfp even under uv light your axolotl won't really glow not that it's advised to subject them to that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back