Question: What are the Ideal Water Test Results?

AxolotlLove327

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tested my water today, and the results were as follows

ph- 6.8
Alkanity- 80
Chlorine- 0
Hardness- 75
Nitrite- 1.0
Nitrate- 15

Unfortunately my kit doesn't test ammonia but every testing (about every week) I put a drop or two of Ammonia Safe in the tank.

Thanks!

Hey!
Nitrite should always be around 0
Nitrate looks like it should be ready for a wc soon.
A wc should fix it all.

Looks pretty good!

Nitrate should be under 40. You should get a test kit that tests ammonia, that is very important. Nitrite needs to be 0. Have you cycled your tank? Are you doing water changes? This is also very important. Your ph is fine. And I don't think"ammonia safe" is going to make up for no water changes or cycling your tank. They are both quite necessary.
Ryan, abbreviating water change to wc could be confusing to some people, as "wc" is more commonly used to abbreviate wild caught. :) -Seth

Thank you for the concern, but don't worry. I do weekly water changes, and I have cycled my tank. Thanks for the answer!

Right now you need to do more than just weekly water changes. Nitrite is toxic and should never go over 0.5 in a tank where there are animals. Ideally in a well cycled tank nitrite stays at 0 at all times.

If you have a reading of 1.0 for nitrite you tank is not cycled. You need to do a 50% water change to get the nitrites down. Stop using the 'ammonia safe' stuff, it's probably hindering your cycle.
Looks like you're using test strips, you really need a liquid test kit that includes ammonia.

Ok, I was planning on doing a water change, and I'll try to get a liquid test kit. Thanks for the answers guys!

Thank you for the concern, but don't worry. I do weekly water changes, and I have cycled my tank. Thanks for the answer!

That's not the point. Your nitrite is too high, therefore endangering your axolotls health. The point of doing water changes is to keep your water perimeters in check, but if the tank isn't cycled in the first place than doing water changes doesn't change weather your water perimeters are okay or not.
Here is a link that explains how to cycle your tank: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Ammonia tablets just hide it, change the water, don't use chemicals. Water conditioning and aquarium salt is all u use

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back