Cough / Hiccups / Sneeze?

Cacique

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was about to head to bed when I noticed my axolotl do what I would describe as a cough, hiccup or sneeze. His whole body did a bit of a jump, mouth opening like he coughed. He did this twice in one minute, and then again after a moment. He has then done smaller ones that look like a small sneeze or something. Could there be something to worry about?

I gave him a good water change and fed him yesterday, so the parameters would be at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 40 nitrates. The PH has gone up to around 8, not quite sure why as my other tanks have the same PH and nothing has been added. The temperature is at 69F or under.

Axies sometimes hiccup, sounds normal to me. If he continues he may be trying to regurgitate something, but again thats normal.

Thanks for the quick reply. Everything I found revolved around being fed so I wasn't sure if there could be something wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back