Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Impaction?

MandaLotlMomma

Reaction score
MERGENCY!!!!
Sam our baby wildtype had been eating okay since we got him on Saturday. He is being fed mainly small pieces of earthworm and had bloodworms on Saturday to see how his appetite was and get him eating. Yesterday didnt eat. Today went to feed him and he did not want it, then just now started puking. He has puked three times and continues to retch. Partially digested food. He is in good water with daily water changes - treated water, with a temp around 62-64 F. He is flapping gills frequently. Before we got him Saturday he was kept in bad water and was on gravel. I am thinking maybe trying to throw up a piece of gravel that has him constipated/impacted? He has not pooped since we got him on Saturday. What can I do to help him?!:errr::(

Bette

Reaction score
Well, if he is not bloated, I say to leave him alone and try not to worry TOO much for now. Hopefully, he will pass gravel if he has any inside. It could also be indigestion from the earthworms or something completely different. Can you post a good photo of top and side views? How big is he? Try offering different foods, even going back to the frozen blood worms. Anything to get him to eat for now. Some of my axolotls won't take to eating any earthworms until they are about 5 inches long.

MandaLotlMomma

Reaction score
He is about 5 inches long and ate earthworm Saturday evening and Sunday AM and evening - he is underweight so i am feeding him smaller amounts more often.
I tried bloodworms last night too and he just wasn't into eating. He continued to retch for quite a while and when he wasnt he honestly looked like he was depressed, kinda moping around the tank.

Sam went into the fridge last night at the suggestion of a axie group on facebook (I agreed, he looked quite stressed!)

This morning found the following picture and he is already acting 100x better - not looking quite so depressed and swimming/walking like he feels much better!

Attachments

• samsstones.jpg
    samsstones.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 210

Bette

Reaction score
Good! Axolotls usually won't eat while being fridged, so you can keep him there for a few days, then maybe get him settled again in his tank.

blushed

Reaction score
Glad he was able to pass those stones. Id keep him fridged a bit longer to see if there are any other stones...

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1