Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Severe leg injury

Stez

Reaction score
One of my axolotls has been refusing his food for the last two days, and upon closer inspection I found that one of his back legs is severely injured - the only reason I can think of is that the other axolotl must have bitten him. I can't see any fungus on the wound, so it seems like I've gotten to it before it got the chance to develop. He's in the fridge now, and I'll be giving him a salt bath tomorrow. What should I do after that? I'm wondering mainly about the big bit of tissue hanging out of the wound - do you think it'll drop off of its own accord, or will I have to do something about it?

Other than the fact that he won't eat anything, he's been surprisingly calm considering half of his leg is hanging out. He's always been the more timid of the two axies - perhaps it might be best to put a partition in the tank after this?

Pictures: imgur: the simple image sharer

Bette

Reaction score
I would not advise to fridge or salt bathe right now. Just to separate the injured axie until it heals. Only salt bathe if there is fungus. And certainly not if there is raw tissue exposed. The cold of fringing will only slow down the metabolism and healing. I am concerned with all that tissue exposed. Monitor closely and be prepared to contact a vet if needed.

Bette

Reaction score
How often do you feed, and what do you feed? A tank partition is a good option if needed. What size is the tank?

Stez

Reaction score
I feed them each a big earthworm or two smaller ones every other day, and the tank is 4x1x1.5 (or thereabouts). I also feel pretty uneasy about the wound, what do you think are the odds it'll heal on its own? I'd be a lot more reassured if he would eat something, but he seems uninterested (albeit still surprisingly calm).

Stez

Reaction score
Also, I found a partially-digested earthworm in the tank on Monday night, a few hours after I'd fed him, so I assume it must've happened sometime on Monday afternoon. I suppose the shock made him bring up his lunch...

Edit: Took him out of the fridge, offered him a worm but he didn't want it. Leaving him in a little tub with air holes inovernight because I don't want to risk putting him back with the other one, since I don't have a partition at this moment.

RyanTheFIshGuy

Reaction score
Also, I found a partially-digested earthworm in the tank on Monday night, a few hours after I'd fed him, so I assume it must've happened sometime on Monday afternoon. I suppose the shock made him bring up his lunch...

Edit: Took him out of the fridge, offered him a worm but he didn't want it. Leaving him in a little tub with air holes inovernight because I don't want to risk putting him back with the other one, since I don't have a partition at this moment.

using anything to build up with(that they cant climb) would work as a partition

Stez

Reaction score
I'm going to see if I can find something to use as a partition, but is that really all I can do? Just put him back and wait, while he has all that tissue hanging out? I feel so helpless.

Bette

Reaction score

Leaving him in the tub until you get a partition is fine, just make he can't jump out, and that you do 100% water changes daily.
Try different foods...can you get any frozen blood worms or live blackworms? I would go with a ready made partition. Amazon or ebay has them. Some people make them, you just need to make sure that they fit correctly and have no sharp edges.

Last edited:

Bette

Reaction score
I'm going to see if I can find something to use as a partition, but is that really all I can do? Just put him back and wait, while he has all that tissue hanging out? I feel so helpless.

And if the tissue is still exposed 3 days later(without showing signs of improving), I think that you may want to get him to a vet.
You could try treating him with an antibiotic in the water as a preventative. But I am not convinced that he needs it at this point.

Stez

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I have some more photos of him, there's a white bit hanging off the tissue now, do you think it's fungus? If so, what should I do about it?

imgur: the simple image sharer

Bette

Reaction score
UOTE=Stez;432196]Thank you for the responses. I have some more photos of him, there's a white bit hanging off the tissue now, do you think it's fungus? If so, what should I do about it?

imgur: the simple image sharer[/QUOTE]

I can't tell with certainty from the photo. It could be new tissue or it could be fungus. At this point, instead of doing a harsh salt bath, I would add salt to the tub water at a lower concentration which will still inhibit fungus growth. Disolve a slightly heaping half teaspoon of sea salt or non iodized salt per gallon of fresh water and use this when you do the water changes.
Make sure that the water is the same temperature as the tub water.

Stez

Reaction score
As I was transferring him into a new tub with fresh water, the tissue just fell off. The leg is wounded but looks like it should be ok, so I'll keep a close eye on it for fungus. I'll see if I can get him to eat a small earthworm later on, unfortunately I don't have any bloodworms.

Blackstar65

Reaction score
try melafix. Its a common natural treatment we aquarist use for treating wounded fish. It works awesome for damaged fins. If fungus becomes as issue try it with pimafix as well.

Bette

Reaction score
QUOTE=Blackstar65;432222]try melafix. Its a common natural treatment we aquarist use for treating wounded fish. It works awesome for damaged fins. If fungus becomes as issue try it with pimafix as well.[/QUOTE]

I've tried melafix in the past, but haven't again because it seemed to cause stress. Pimafix has had mixed results with axies. A recent posting on caudata seemed to show a negative impact from it. It's possible that these can work effectively in some cases. I just wanted to let you know the risk.
I have personally used many times kordon Rid Fungus, with good results. Remember that many remedies that may be great for fish can harm caudates. Axolotls absorb things through their skin very easily.

Stez

Reaction score
I'm noticing something else now. His rear seems to be slightly raised, any ideas why this might be? He also wouldn't eat a small earthworm, but he's still very calm.
Could it be that the injury has messed something up with his bowels and he's constipated?

Stez

Reaction score
I could really use some help here. As I said, the initial tissue bits of tissue hanging off him fell off, but there's new tissue now there so the would is obviously still open and leaking. It's not a huge amount, but the fact that the wound isn't closed yet is worrying. What should I do? Take him to the vet? And is the vet likely to know what to do with an axie?

Stez

Reaction score
He's swimming about more frantically now, could really use some advice, please...

Bette

Reaction score
I could really use some help here. As I said, the initial tissue bits of tissue hanging off him fell off, but there's new tissue now there so the would is obviously still open and leaking. It's not a huge amount, but the fact that the wound isn't closed yet is worrying. What should I do? Take him to the vet? And is the vet likely to know what to do with an axie?

The wound does look a little better, but not as much as I'd like to see. It's hard to tell...is the wound actually still bleeding?

Bette

Reaction score
I'm noticing something else now. His rear seems to be slightly raised, any ideas why this might be? He also wouldn't eat a small earthworm, but he's still very calm.
Could it be that the injury has messed something up with his bowels and he's constipated?

He could be constipated. Does it look like the anus area is swollen more than usual? Is there any chance that he could have ingested anything dangerous? Are your axies kept in a bare bottom tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!