New Axtolotl Owner

lhassler71

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
New here...recently became Axtolotl owner...We had 3 juveniles (seperated) and was told to do 90% water change every week and NOT to use a filter. We followed these instructions to a T and after 2nd water change all 3 died within 12hrs. My daughter was devastated. The water never got above 68. Were not sure why they died. The breeder told me using straight tap water is okay, and said they died from fungus. I didnt see any white on them and think its too much coincidence that they all died after the water change.

Any suggestions? I loved having them and they were so cute.

It's too bad your first experience was so sad. Town or city tap water must be treated with a dechlorinator like seachem Prime. 100% daily water changes must be done in containers with no filters. As far as filters, the best for axies are the ATI Hydro pro sponge filters. Read up on aquarium cycling and start over... you won't be disappointed! Welcome to the forum!

And if you haven't already, reading this care sheet might provide some more knowledge.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl
I don't know what "breeder" you bought them from, but if they're giving that kind of information I would buy from somewhere else, there are pretty much always Axolotls for sale in the For Sale USA section in the forum.

Welcome to the site! It sounds like you got them from buyaxolotls.com. Please disregard their information. It's a nasty website that's full of terrible care advice, I don't know where their tap water comes from, but chlorine burns gill tissue and probably the axolotls skin as well. I was dumbstruck when I first browsed through that web site. It would be better if they called it killaxolotls.com, that would be the only thing that's correct on there.
If I were you, I'd get a drink, get comfy and read through the axolotl section on here. They really are simple to care for, if their water is clean, cold and safe they will be responsive and amusing pets for many years to come! :)

I didn't want to name names but Yes! That is where I got them from...buyaxtolotl.com, since finding this site I have been reading everything I can and making notes! We almost didn't try again but after reading all this (that is opposite what I was told) ,we thought we'd try it again...I just bought 2 juvies from Margie (on here) and can't wait to try again.
Thank you for all the advice!! :happy:

I'm sure you'll be fine this time. I'm glad the whole thing didn't put you off for life.
All the info you need is right here and if there's anything you're unsure of or if there's any specific problems, there's always someone on here who'll give you sensible answers to to any questions you might have. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back