Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Dr. Tim's "One And Only" Safe?

G

Guy Kazama

As a side question related to another post, I was wondering if anyone knew if Dr. Tim's One And Only is safe for axolotls. The "Axolotl Whisperer" on YouTube says it is safe, but another forum member here said such products can burn the skin of axolotls.
Here is the Axolotl Whisperer's video. Scrub to 5:00, where he talks about One and Only.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrfpbnaUSjY
TIME INDEX: 5:00

keiko

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular product. What I meant was that some of those products may not be good for axies.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
A lot of the quick start products are just bottled bacteria. The bacteria could be different from what is supposed to colonize and may die off. Also besides a few strains of bacteria, most are hard to keep alive in those bottles and most stores don't really care/know that these quick start bottles are full of living creatures that room temp will start to kill off since they essentially starve over time. The easiest thing to do is fish less cycle your tank and move your axolotl into a separate container with 100% daily dechlorinated water changes. It might take a few weeks for the tank to be ready but at least your axolotl will be happy and safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1