Help please

tracey11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my axolotls back end started to float so after a couple of days I removed him from the tank and put him in a shallow tub with clean water everyday for about 3 days it didn't stop. After taking advice I put him in the fridge for 24 hours.His floating seemed to get alot better he was in a tub out of the fridge for another 2 days. I then returned him to his tank during all that time he wouldn't eat and he didn't poop the only thing that was in his tub was a tiny bit of what looked like green algae.I cant get him to eat anything now he's losing wait I have tried bloodworm prawns and his usual food earthworms he just looks at it and moves away I don't know what else to do I don't know how old he is as I rescued them in January he is about 9 inches I have attached 2 of the best pics i can get tonight thanks for any help x

Attachments

• WP_20141110_002.jpg
    WP_20141110_002.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 111
  • WP_20141110_001.jpg
    WP_20141110_001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 105
Your salamander still has a bit of good weight on it. It doesn't look skinny. Try raising the temperature a little if you can. Increasing temps will motivate metabolism. Maybe all the stress from transitioning and bloat has affected its hunger. Not to mention the cooling.

Try feeding it small amounts of food everyday or so. Good luck!

Thanks for replying I have been trying to get him to eat for almost a week now and nothing im just so worried.

Your axie looks bloated, and I suggest you seek help from a vet.

just called the vet and asked if the reptile vet treated axolotls the first thing the receptionist said was whats that now just waiting for a call back

Had a call back off to vets at 5.40 will let you know how we get on.

Hi just an update just got back from the vets and he has given him some antibiotics. I have to put him in a tub with them for 5 hours a day and if no better ring him on friday and he will decide wether to give him an ultrasound fingers crossed the antibiotics work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back