Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do axolotls eat less in colder water or during breeding season?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
My folks are caring for my axolotls while I'm away at school and aren't the best at describing issues so bare with me:

My parents have been telling me that my axolotls are basically "taking turns" at not eating. They basically fast themselves for a few weeks before randomly eating again.
My mom is worried about this one though. She says it's been two weeks and she said that yesterday he was "floating" and that now he has a "hump" in his back. She said that his gills are brown (he's a dirty lucy), so not sure if it's his typical color just changing.

My mother is horrible at photos and nor can she simply describe what they look like. She sent me photos of him and it appears that he has spots on his side. he never used to, so again I can't tell if it's just the regular spots changing or if it's sepsis.

Water tests are coming back normal, my dad says he's doing water changes just like I taught him with the dechlorinator....
Any ideas?
I'm going to try and walk her through taking better photos

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415719735019.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415719735019.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 358

Sylerwin

Reaction score
My parents picked up a pellet diet from the breeder they met after explaining that he's not eating the earthworms. It has "pressure extruded" earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms, spirulina, soybean meal... no fillers or byproducts. Going to have them try feeding that

sde

Reaction score
They do slow their eating, and don't lose the weight they gained from eating as fast. Their metabolism slows down. The temps in my shed is low enough that I don't have to feed my newts more than once a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!