Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Want to Experiment with Plants

STCxB

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My axolotls are doing great, but I want to play around with their tank a bit. I currently have some Java Fern and two other plants that I can't remember the name of currently, but I know I bought them because I saw them recommended on this forum.

Currently, they have two 4" diameter ABS plastic tubes that are roughly 6" in length and a 1-½" PVC elbow that I used when I first got them and that the shrimp seem to enjoy. I want to cover them in moss, but I'm not sure the best way. I know that you can use the "moss blender" method with water, moss, and yogurt/buttermilk for terrestrial mosses but I've heard conflicting reports on using aquatic mosses this way, mainly because you have to grow them out of the water for a couple weeks. I also don't know how well the moss would stick to the PVC since it is smooth. I know that the ABS has small air pockets so I could remove the outer layers of plastic and get to a rough surface rather easily. Has anyone used this method for an aquatic moss or used this method on plastic?

I also am looking at trying to get some lilaeopsis to form a carpet based on what I've read in a few other threads. I have a sand substrate in a 29 gallon bowfront tank (I think 18-19" of water between the light and the sand). I have a fluorescent tube light that is on from 7:30 pm to 10:30 pm, and the tank gets a lot of ambient light and some very nice direct afternoon sunlight for about 45 minutes through a window. The bulbs are 15 W, 510 lumen, and claim to be 3100 K, but they look closer to 6000 K to me (based on my knowledge of automotive lighting).

I'd love any input on either of these projects!

Cole Grover

Reaction score
The aquatic moss should readily attach to and grow on roughened (sanded) PVC. Attach it with thread, then remove the thread after a few weeks.

As for the "carpet" on the bottom, your lights aren't bright enough or 99 long enough for much other than the moss and Java fern, regardless of their CRI/Kelvin rating. That said, the shallower the tank, the lower the output would need to be to reach the bottom.

Hope that helps,
Cole

STCxB

Reaction score
That was my fear with the lilaeopsis.

What type of moss would you recommend for coating the tubes? Just some Java Moss?

STCxB

Reaction score
Awesome! I will give that a shot. Probably Java Moss since I don't recall the last time I saw Christmas Moss anywhere near me. I'll probably make sure I have enough to try the blender method in a high humidity sealed container and then have some that I let do its thing just in the tank.

Bette

Reaction score
Awesome! I will give that a shot. Probably Java Moss since I don't recall the last time I saw Christmas Moss anywhere near me. I'll probably make sure I have enough to try the blender method in a high humidity sealed container and then have some that I let do its thing just in the tank.

All you need to do is tie some java moss onto any surface... ornaments, driftwood, rocks, roughened pvc pipes... with either plain unflavored dental floss, thread, string, or fishing line, and after a few months, it should be attached and growing well.

Only do the whole blender method when you are dealing with terrestrial mosses.

You may want to check out planted aquariums central.com
They are great to deal with, and have a good selection.

STCxB

Reaction score
I've heard mixed things about the blender with aquatic mosses since most can survive being misted very regularly for a few days or weeks. I figure I can try a small amount and find out for myself once and for all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!