Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lighting

Hooky87

Reaction score
I am looking to move my salamanders into the garage within the next few weeks. My question is i currently have no lighting on my salamanders so whats the best lighting to use.

Cheers

Matt

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Lighting is not really necessary unless you plan on growing plants. The lighting just adds heat to the tank anyways. If you do want lights then go with fluorescent fixtures.

merk199

Reaction score
I am converting all my lights to shop light flourescents. Each tank/shelf has a shop light with with 2 40 watt t12 bulbs hanging over it. I am keeping assorted crypts, java, java fern no problem.

Hooky87

Reaction score
i was thinking of adding some sort of light as my garage is dark unlike the spare room they ar all in at the moment. So it will be for viewing more than growing plants, i am looking for the most energy saving bulb that wont have any ill effect on my animals, anyone know of any.

Cheers

Matt

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Then definitely go with fluorescent fixtures, preferably ones that take the T12 bulbs. Wait, what size tank is it?

benw

Reaction score
I have about 80 salamandra in my garage, and the garage is lit by a 6ft florescent tube liniked to a timer set to sunrise/sunset times to give correct photoperiod, just anormal tube type, and no ill effects, unit cost £20 at most complete.

Ben

Hooky87

Reaction score
Cheers for all the replys. My next question is will my garage need any heating to keep my fire sals in, more for the winter realy.

benw

Reaction score
No heating in mine, but i keep an eye out on the temps for frost/freezing, but never had any worries so far, and its just part of the temp/lighting cycle i use.

Ben

tdimler

Reaction score
Gosh I wish I could keep my salamandra in a garage here.......it would be good all except for the part about them being baked...no, maybe fried is more like it.

benw

Reaction score
If the temp goes towards freezing i put on a small tubular greenhouse heater, gives out a low heat, but its enough to keep the temp up, and they fairly reasonable to buy too.

Ben

Hooky87

Reaction score
Hi Ben,
do you have your heater on a timer or do you just keep it on all day.Also when people keep fire sals outside how do they survive the cold.

Cheers

Matt

benw

Reaction score
The heater is on a frost stat, so it comes on when the temp goes below a certain temp, and off again when it gets to a set temp, say +5c.
As i dont keep sals outside i would assune maybe piles of logs etc would be used by the sals as they would bury under it, and be fairy safe from the frost and cold

Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!