View Single Post
Old 6th March 2009   #13
Eva
(blueberlin)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11
Default Re: Caudata.org Grant Poll

Ok I decided I'll just go first (at least, I was first when I started this reply) since I'm the outspoken dork of our family here Honestly, I figured, I have only the one vote and it can't matter that much, so I'd rather skip voting than make a wrong choice. (Opinion One.)

As I hinted above, I did honestly click on two links and try to read about the projects, but marmalade started dripping out of my ear and so I instead gave a really, really close look at the project titles.

Right off I decided that Effect of magnetic nanoparticles on newt behavior is a magic bean for which I would not sell my cow. Could be I'm wrong but it seems to me that there is so much more work to be done simply to understand the various animals in their natural habitats, and we can pursue the currently fashionable nanotechnology later, once we have figured out whether and how amphibians will live today and tomorrow.

Then there are a few that do focus on habitat and conservation - I do not understand the word "systematic" in the recurring sense of these titles, but habitat and conservation were the ideas that led me to support the drive, so I would be most inclined to vote for one of these. The trouble is that I cannot judge whether the information gained will benefit a single species (a worthy endeavour, certainly!) or have widespread benefit.

Ok so there are some of my unqualified but honest opinions. Hopefully others will now feel secure enough to add their thoughts, too.

-Eva

Albert Einstein