Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much should I feed my axies?????

K

kylie

I have 2 axies one is about 25cms and the other is 18cm, I feed them frozen beef heart squares, usually every night. How much should I feed them and how often????

J

jennifer

I think you should vary their diet. I would not rely on beef heart. I would recommend good-quality pellets made for carnivorous fish (not sure what's available in Australia). And earthworms, if you aren't squeamish. And pieces of chopped raw fish or shrimp. Among these foods, I'd only recommend the pellets and worms as "staple" foods, the others for variety.

I would say feed them as much as they will eat every 2-4 days. If they are skinny or juveniles, then feed every day. Be sure to remove all uneaten food from the tank after each meal.

Also, is that gravel in your photo? If you still have that, then I'd suggest using a feeding dish so they don't ingest gravel.

A

alex

she changed from gravel to sand i think. im pretty sure i saw a pic of it
happy.gif
. i feed my axies as much pellets or worms as they wil eat every 3 or 4 days and they are about the same size as yours.

K

kylie

is frozen bloodworm cubes ok? how much of this should i feed?

P

pauline

Hi there Im a newbie to this site & a newbie to axolotls also, I just got two 2 axies today aprox 1 yr olds, they have only been fed frozen beef heart which Id like to change gradually to very their diet and make it more natural to them, I saw cubes of fish recomended, would that just be any fish from the local market as I can get "cat packs" which are off cuts here would that be ok and would you feed it frozen or thawed? Thankyou

J

jorja

Now I had the same issue.. and I wanted to change their diet as well so I went to m Local Pet store and I baught a box of meal worms as well as Medium/Large Crickets. I fed them Ither two crickets or two meal worms each a night, strait away, so they dont need to me gradually fed thing to get used to them. So dont worry about gradually feeding them the natural stuff just go strait to the food.

P

pauline

Wow I feed my frogs crickets wouldn't have thought of them for the axies, do you feed them live crickets? I went to the pet shop today & got some frozen bloodworm then to the market to buy fish for them, will give it a go tomorrow Im sure they probably will eat whatever they are offered. The seem to be settling in ok so far. My daughter has called them Pebbles & Bam Bam! I thought they may be two girls but not sure, bit hard to tell & its not like they will croak to confirm there gender either! LOL

P

pauline

Cycled? The tank and set up isn't a new set up it just moved house so to speak, they belonged to a friend of my daughters who couldn't keep them any longer due to work commitments.

E

elaine

Well this is my 1st posting and my introduction to the world of axolotl's there seems to be so much to take in !!! We are now the proud owners of two but one is not eating do they only eat pellets when they are moving ? Worried new MUM

P

pauline

Yes all was kept wet as it was only a 15 min trip to their hew house, so far all is good except they wernt interested in eating last night. Will try again tonight, people keep telling me they have bad eye sight but from what Ive read that doesn't seem to be true, one friend had an albino so maybe their eye sight is more poor?

S

sharn

albinos do have poorer eyesite than other colours, like all animals. my guess is that everything they see is insanely blurry but they can notice movement very well. if you wiggle it chances are they'll snap at it, do give them time though, it can take a week or so before they feel comfortable in their new home
happy.gif

P

pauline

Thanks for that Sharn, Pebbles did take some food last night, Bam Bam looked but didn't take any.Relocated tank as the temp was a little high, 2 degrees difference just by moveing them to the other side of the room!

S

sharn

wow, wicked! love the names too btw. keep us posted on their progress

P

pauline

I bought a terracotta pot & put that in the tank last night as a hide-out, after I'd given it a good clean without chemicals of course,Bam Bam was straight into it.Bam Bam had a snap at some food I offered but still didn't take it, but greedy Pebbles had some,LOL.

T

teesha

i personally think that the reason why albinos have poorer eyes site is because white colours refect light and black colours absorb. Their retina ( the back of the eye ) is black in normal axolotls and the albino has a red retina. This would mean that less light will be drawn into the eye so they will see a faded image- i would imagine! I have no idea, but i did biology in yr 12 and this seems like a possible explanation- it is also more prone to cataracs or eye blindess caused from the sun- this i don't really understand....we have a whole 3 pages on albinism but i don't remember it!!! lol. Well, theres my 2 cents!

J

joão

Here are some of the things we could give to our axies: earth worms , not compost worms they taste funky, crickets, blood or black worms, daphnia, pellets, pieces of ox heart, mysis,snails, slugs.

P

pauline

I feed crickets to my frogs do you feed these live to the axies also?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!