Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Choosing a new salamander. HELP! URGENT!

F

felipe

I was going to buy a fire salamander, but I've read that theese salamanders dont survive in temperatures above 20 C ( 70 F), and here in Brasil, (except in the winter) almost every day the temperature go higher than this! I had a tiger salamander that lived 11 years here with me... Are they sturdier than the fire salamanders??? Are the fire salamanders so fragile??? They cost A LOT of money here, and are extremely rare to find, so I would be gratefull if you help me before I make some mistakes! Thanks!

P

peter

Felipe,
It isn't safe to keep a fire salamander above 70 degrees,but if you a have basement or air conditioner you could keep it cool enough to be in the range of safe temperatures.

F

felipe

I dont have basement and air conditioner... There is something I can do to decrease temperartures? Some kind of machine or somenthing like this??
The fire newts are really more fragile than the tigers???

F

felipe

Oh, Sorry! I wrote "newts" over there, my mistake! I mean Fire salamanders, Salamandra sp. Not fire bellied newts! ]
So, what do you think??? The fire salamanders can do as well as the tiger salamanders or they are more fragile?

F

felipe

Please, I need to know it quickly.. anyone could help me????

E

ester

Salamandra really doesn't like warm temperatures, so if you can't provide a room that's below 20C then you're setting yourself up for disappointment and the salamander for an uncomfortable time until it can't handle the temperatures anymore.

J

jeff

I would say in general that fire salamanders are less tolerant of higher temperatures than tiger salamanders. Of course, tolerances will vary dependant upon the origin of the specimen.

In any event, I would recommend NOT to purchase the fire salamander if you cannot keep the temperature below 70 degrees.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!