Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

help with wild newt

fazlrudra

Reaction score
i live in new york state usa. over the summer i left a one gallon container outside for several months. it filled with 4-5 inches of rain water. just today i went to empty the container and am very surprised to find a small newt swiming around in it. there is no natural water bodies anywhere near so i don't know where it came from. m,it seems young--maybe 3 ins. long, black with an orange stripe down it's back. i am concerned because winter is coming and frosts will turnd the water into an ice block. does anyone have any suggestion how to save this creature?

fazlrudra

Reaction score
yes!! thank you very much jan. i'm sure it is one of these--Plethodon serratus, redback phase. at present it is fully submerged in a gallon jug filled with 5" of rain water. it seems to be comfortable just lounging at the bottom. the water is largely clear with a few clots of green algae in it. the newt is very slender and it's feet are miniscule; i doubt he could stand on them. what it eats only it and heaven knows.

can these creatures climb out of the plastic jug? i fear it will freeze in place as we have experienced light but destructive overnight frosts. i've thought of just taking him to a natural pond site and just pouring him out to take it on his own, but i fear it is in an aquautic stage of development--it's feet and legs are very small, tail is big but not paddle-ish.

any ideas you or other members may have are appreciated.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
If you are In New York state, then it is Plethodon cinereus. These salamanders live entirely terrestrial lives and should not be kept aquatically, as there is a risk that they may drown. Although they appear to be tiny and have small limbs, they are rather capable and are excellent climbers. If the jug does not have a secure lid it will escape very easily; this species especially is known for escaping through even tiny cracks in lids.

The best thing to do would probably be to release the salamander back where you found it, near leaf litter or rotten logs that it can hide under and escape the frost.

Good Luck!:D

Tim S

Reaction score
As long as there is water in the jug, the salamander won't be able to escape. It's moist body allowed it to stick to the outside of the jug and slither up into it. Now it is simply too wet and slippery to escape.

If it is a Plethodon, Autumn is their breeding season. They are quite active this time of year despite the cool evening temperatures.

From your discription, it sound like it is an adult (perhaps out looking for a mate). It is within it's home range. Do it a favor and let it go.

fazlrudra

Reaction score
yes, "cinereus", my mistake. with the identifying help i've received here i've read quite a bit about this creature who has chosen to visit me. i didn't put it in water, it's choosing to stay in the jug--unless it got in but can't get back out. i'm placing a raugh stick into the jug it can crawl onto.

i've decided to bring it to a near by natural pond and release it there. i hope it doesn't run into too much terretorial stress, but it's the best i can do.

i thank the forum members for their invaluable help.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It probably climbed into the jug and cannot get out. This animal is completely terrestrial and naturally would never enter the water.

fazlrudra

Reaction score
yes, also my thoughts-trapped. i've removed the water and put in several inches of fresh garden soil. also a roll of fallen maple leaves for cover. the salamander is alive and active. tomorrow i'll release it several miles from here into a very large nature preserve with a spring fed pond, rocks, swampy wetlands, very natural, no concrete. it'll be happy i'm sure. i thank you all for your kind concern and well informed advise.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
fazlrudra - glad we could help solve the mystery and thanks for caring so much about the little guy.

fazlrudra

Reaction score
thank you all! this site is valuable. otterwoman's comment about "hundreds" of them made sense. we have an extra acre, wooded and untouched since before we came here 40yrs. ago. i put it's little jug of soil and leaves near a rotting log maybe 200ft. from where i found him. he's gone! thanks, with out your collective help i might have transferred him to a fish tank of water. good bye for now.:talker:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear you did things right! We're glad you found us. Hopefully he (or she) will find a suitable mate in your woods, and you'll have many more visiting you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!