Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spottted salamanders

D

david

I live in So. West Virginia and a friend gave me a spotted salamander (Ambystoma Maculatum) he found in his back yard which was a wooded area far from any creeks. Where is another place I could find one? Also are they compatible with Eurycea Longicaudas, E. Bislenata, or E. Cirrigera? Also, what is their best habitat?

J

joan

Ambystomatids are mole salamanders. It will do well in a setup with 4 or 5 inches of organic top soil or chemical free dirt. It'll burrow into this and you'll rarely see it.

Ambystomatids are not creek dwellers, but breed in vernal ponds.

As Ali said, I would NOT put any other species in the tank, especially Eurycea, which can be quite small, semi-aquatic (not compatible with a terrestrial setup), and seen as a snack.

D

david

Thank you everyone! I won't mix the species so thanks for all the advice. You can see the Spotted Salamander by going to caudata culture, click species, move down and click on common name Spotted Salamander. There is no information there on habitat but I assume it will similar to other mole salamanders.

J

joan

David, most mole sals have similar requirements. You can read the caresheet on tiger sals for a general idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!