Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Treatment article

J

jennifer

In response to many, many requests over many, many years...
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/treatment.shtml

This is still open to suggestions, additions, corrections, etc. Also please write in with additional treatment stories that can be added.

Thank you to Frank Pasmans and Ed Kowalski for critiquing the article. And thanks to Andy Baker, who gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get this project started (and eventually finished).

K

kyle

Jen -
I'm glad you were able to post this information. It's a good one to have available on Caudata Culture.

Is there anyway to make this post/link a sticky on the forums?

Is there any way to make Caudata Culture more visible when you come to the caudata.org website homepage? Maybe ad it to the top menu bar. I realize its in the paragraph there on the home page, but I think it deserves a place on the menu bar at the very least. Maybe a whole small link box. Just a thought, no reason to hide all that great information.

C

coen

Looks great Jennifer, people should be able to help their newts much quicker and more oriented now!

M

mark

Great article, Jen.

I agree with Kyle. It would be good to have a sticky post especially on the Newt and Salamander Help section entitled "Newbies - read this first". It could contain all the useful links to FAQ and help with illness etc. The sad truth is it becomes tedious answering the same questions over again which means that many experienced keepers avoid the help section, often leaving newbies giving advice to newbies
dizzy.gif
(although some senior members do a consistently sterling job
wink.gif
). I'm sure many newbies arn't aware of CC's existence or the wealth of information contained in it. Other forums employ this method with apparent success as their help sections are far less cluttered and repetitive.

C

coen

I'm a digital media designer and I personally think the homepage of caudata.org needs a redesign focused on usability. It is very unclear how to get information on a certain specie, and only one link is provided to caudata culture.

I'm not saying I'm not happy with the site, it has helped and informed me a countless number of times, I just think the usability could be so much better!

J

jennifer

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I have added a link from the "topics" page of the Newt Help section of the forum to the articles list on CC. Hopefully that helps.

From the home page of Caudata.org, I think both CC and the Axolotl site should be more visible than they are. We'll have to get after John for that
wink.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Wow, Jen & gang, great job!

Another idea would be to have links to photos of these various ailments. I'd be glad to help out ;-P

A

alan

"Treatments listed in italics are either home remedies, or medications available over-the-counter in a pharmacy or pet store."

Only in the USA, not in other countries, e.g. UK.

C

coen

I have to agree with Alan. it's also a struggle for people here in holland to translate the US products to, for instance, the dutch products used for newts.

However, it would take a life time to 'translate' all of those products to every country.

J

jennifer

I tried to give the actual drug name, in addition to proprietary names, so that these would at least be understandable to the whole world. And one treatment is international, but not available in the US: mercurochrome. Hopefully you can't accuse me of being totally Ameri-centric.
crazy.gif

It would be great if anyone can list for me any remedies available in your country that are not listed. I need the "scientific name", as well as the proprietary name.

Tim - good idea about the photos. I did it the lazy way with links to forum threads, but we can work on a better presentation and photos.

(Message edited by jennewt on November 08, 2006)

A

alan

Jenn,

Many/most of the products listed are not available OTC in the UK/Europe. They would need to be prescribed by a vet.

J

john

No antibiotic that falls into the "drug" category is available OTC in the European Union. This is proper order too. I'd very much like to lay the blame for MRSA and its ilk at the door of the US FDA.

As for specifics - these aren't necessary. The only antibiotic you can buy OTC in the EU is anti-bacterial soap! And that's not a "drug".

Regarding web site changes, Coen, how about you do a mock up graphic of what you think the site should look like and I'll take a look please.

J

jennifer

OK, I'll change the whole "treatments in italics" thing. Thanks for the information, my worldly friends
ufo.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!