Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Important - Email Notification Query

J

john

Due to the number of email notifications that are being sent out by the board at the moment I am seriously considering changing the settings so that no individual emails are sent - rather everyone gets a generic email using the BCC method. What this means it that the mails won't be tailored to each individual user any more.

If you object to this, please do so now - otherwise I will go ahead with the change to cut down on our email bandwidth.

TJ

Reaction score
While I understand your bandwidth problem, rather than do away with the current notification service altogether (not sure whether or not that's what's been proposed here...), perhaps you could just reduce the list of items for which individuals can receive automatic e-mail messages from the discussion board. I for one would like to see preserved, if possible, e-mail notification for replies to one's own posts (which is the only one I use anyway
smile6.gif
).

J

john

Hi Tim, let's be clear - I'm not talking about doing away with it - in fact to 99% of people they won't notice any difference. I'm just talking about how each mail won't be quite as personalised to each person.

If there's no significant objection to this by tomorrow then I'll make the change.

A

aaron

As long as we can choose whether or not to receive this single email, I'm fine with it.

~Aaron

J

john

Ok, I have bad news on this topic. Unfortunately the BCC option doesn't work on this ISP. I'm going to have to disable Email notification because the server is sending so many emails now that it hits its hourly limit of 350 emails almost ever hour. What this means is that a lot of people don't receive the notifications anyway and anyone who has a caudata.org email account frequently can't send emails themselves.

I've talked to the ISP and they say that the limit is not negotiable due to spam regulations (i.e. to stop their users causing spam). I'm very sorry about this but right now I don't see what alternative I have so I will disable email notification for the time being.

S

swan

I'm still getting some notifications. Have you reactivated the service?

J

john

Actually, yes I have and I forgot to mention it. It seems there was a problem with the server so it will probably work correctly now. Keep your fingers crossed ;).

M

matt

If you don’t mind me asking what do you pay for hosting this site?
Do you host it yourself?
How much bandwidth are you using?

I am a computer consultant that specializes in servers.

These limitations sound horrible and will only get worst as this site grows. A lot of time an upgrade isn’t expensive, and sometimes it saves money too.

Don’t worry I’m not trying to pick up another client. I just want to help.

mattk@dellpower.com

J

john

Hmmm it's about US $170 a year. We have a gigabyte of space available and a bandwidth limit of 18 gigs a month. Currently we use about 10 of those gigs. I am looking at going for the next plan up from the current one when the subscription comes up for renewal in April because the traffic just keeps increasing. Those costs are for web and email hosting only, not for domains or anything else.

M

matt

That’s a good deal.
Anything that I could recommend would be much more expensive.
It sounds like you are on the right track.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!