Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Proposed new chat program - Need opinions

J

john

If you use our current chat facility, please take a moment and try out http://www.tufat.com/script2.htm
I'm considering purchasing it to replace our current (and originally intended to be temporary) chat program. Apart from that fact that it is cheap, it seems rather good (with some excellent features). Please try it out and let me know what you think in this thread.

M

mark

It looks good John. Very "windows xp" - you might need to get rid of some of the annoying sounds.

It looks possible to integrate it into the forums’ existing profile system, allowing users to log on once to use both forum and chat. Very handy and might encourage more people to use it.

(Message edited by aartse_tuyn on November 03, 2005)

J

jeff

John, to be honest, I don't like it at all, the sounds are annoying and the format is very un-inviting. I would much rather keep what we currently have. I would like to know why we need to get rid of it.

J

john

Jeff - I like its features, and it's a lot less clunky than the current one.

Mark - right now it's not possible to integrate the passwords from the forum, just the user names. To do so would require significant programming work. The next version of Discus (the forum software) is due for release any time now, and that should make it possible to integrate with things much more readily.

I suppose there is no _need_ to change the chat program but I know it's not to everyone's liking as it is right now.

M

mark

I much prefer the proposed chat, far more Mac-friendly it seems.

G

garrison

I like it if you turn the sounds off. Can mods or users save the settings they choose?

justin

Reaction score
Yeah, being a mac user as well, it would be nice to have one more friendly. I attempted to use the current one last night and became too frustrated with it to bother.
j

J

jeff

I Think all the blue is a bit much, but I was playin around with it and it looks like that can be changed. I found out that the sounds can be turned off individualy, which I do like. I suppose in all it would be an improvement. The mac users have a real good point too.

P

pin-pin

The sounds *are* really annoying.
Otherwise, it seems fine.

J

jennifer

Oddly, I can't figure out how to make it work with Internet Explorer in Windows XP Professional
sick.gif
When I try the demo, I either get a blue screen with nothing, or a blue screen with a welcome message and an inner boxed area... but no place to type a message. And no sounds.

However, when I launch it with Mozilla Firefox in Windows, it works just fine. Still no sounds, though. Go figure.

I CAN make it work, so I have no objection to changing to this software. I'm curious if anyone else has had problems though.

J

john

Well since I'm using XP with IE and have no problems, I'm somewhat perplexed why it doesn't work for you Jen. Any more opinions? I might put this to a vote.

J

jesper

Doesn't work for me either, but then again I am on a public computer...

J

jeff

If we can keep the old chatroom or update it I would be happy. I feel the new one is just to much like 1993 aol. Sorry but I have no reason to want to change it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!