Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Firebelly Newts // Cypnos Orientalis

M

mathieu

Hi there, I got some of the Chinese Firebelly newts this week. I aslo purchased today a brand new 20 gallon tank to put them in. Honestly, it's the first time I even take care of this but I am very interested in learning how to raise them. What is the perfect setup for them? I read that during teen age, they need to be more terrestrial. My newts are around 2 inches 1/4 long so I think they are in teen age right now. What do I need in order to keep them healty and keep the tank clean?

Thank you a lot for you future help

M

mathieu

I was looking at the information about the C.Orientalis.

They don't explain a lot on the terrestrial state, is it bad for the animals? Does it matter?

ali

Reaction score
Ian, see his newt size in the first post
happy.gif

Anyway, does this size include the tail? I would create the enclosure in such a way that the newts have many things to crawl out on (moss covered rocks, floating corkbark, plants that stick out of the water) but not get completely dry. This should entice them to become more aquatic even if they aren't right now. I recommend covering rocks and floating bark with java moss. This will stay wet and not allow the newt to completely dry out (it's fine if he does, but he may think he doesn't want to go back in the water for a while if he does.)

P.S. Be sure to wash bark before you put it in. I bought some and forgot to....dirt everywhere. Ugh. Good luck

M

mathieu

2 inches 1/4

Right now they have a big surface where they can get dried. Cause I read that during teen age they needed more terrestrial surfaces. But they would just sit there for hours and do nothing.

I also have an issue with the quality of water, I have no filtration at all since the filter that came with my Waterhome20 was for aquariums full of water, I'm going to check to buy an underwater filter this morming and add it so I can have a clean and clear water.

As for plants, I don't have any yet, since I have about 4 inches of water, I don't know what to put.

Can I put regular plants bought in a canadian tower in their pot?
Also where can I get java moss?

=======
Edit
=======

I have purchased a filter this morning and installed it. I had one with my tank but since I don't have a lot of water it was useless.

I hope this clears the water a little bit.

(Message edited by mathieu on February 14, 2006)

I

ian

I think you need to change water more often. Since you did not go through the nitrogen cycle. But remember to use some conditioners for the water.

Try from Aquarium store for Java moss. They are not easy to get some time. Especially in Canada. But Java moss should be the best.

Devil Ivy (Pathos) should be easy to find and good for the newt health. But you need to wash the plant carefully before putting it in the tank. Since there might be some chemical in the soil.

The other reason why they tend to stay on surface maybe because the water quality is not very satisfying and they are still stressed. I hope they are still eating.

Make sure your tank is escape proof.

Sorry I didn't read the first post carefully, been extremely busy these days.

M

mathieu

They don't seem to be eating. I have purchased some Frozen Bloodworms at the pet store and I've diluted it in the water. Quite a lot of bloodworms actually.

I read in the info's that C.Orientalis can refuse to eat when you purchase them.

No worries my tank is escape proof, I don't want to take any chances with my cat around :p

I'll put up some pictures off my tank in a couple of days. Now, I'm trying to keep my water clear, when you talk about conditionners, can you give me some example of good brands.

Since this species is Chinese, could I plant some bamboos in my aquarium?

By the way, sorry if I have all those questions, I am really new to this but my interest is very high. I realized that in my area no one knows about newts, especially C. Orientalis. Thank you very much for taking the time, especially for people that are busy, to answer my questions.

J

jennifer

Bamboo is safe to use, but the temperature range does not overlap much with newts. Newts do best if they are kept cool in winter (under 20C), but bamboo does best if it's kept warm (over 20C). In summer, the bamboo will do OK, as the tank is likely to be warmer then. I too recommend pothos.

Are the newts staying entirely out of the water? If so, then you need to find terrestrial foods to feed them. Try handfeeding them the thawed bloodworms from a tweezers. Other suggestions here:
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/Cp_juv.html

At 2.5 inches, they are big enough to be fully aquatic. If you want to push them to be more aquatic, there are some suggestions here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

M

mathieu

I've doublechecked for the size and I want to make a correction, the 2 newts are about a little less than 2 inches.

Should I fill the tank with water completely? Forcing them to become aquatic and simplify the water treatment?

Also for food, I will try feeding them myself that's a good idea.

K

katie

I would raise the water level a little bit, i find it easier to keep clean and to keep good levels when it is around 8 or so inches, depending on your tank size. Mine is 10 and i have them in about 8-9 in. Having live plants also help keep the water clean.

Hope this helps....

M

mathieu

Yeah, I think it's a good idea, it will push them to become aquarial again and it will make it easier to keep track of the water.

For the plants, I will have to find some java moss somewhere, I know that it's not common in Canada as Ian Choi said, put I could try to buy some off Ebay, I found some there.

If not, I'll go to the petshop and purchase some aquatic plants there.

I also found a nice spot where I can pick up big rocks for my tank. Rocks at the petshop are so expensive.

K

katie

I use rocks from outside all the time. I rinse them in HOT water several times. I have never had a problem with them. Its' alot cheaper and I love the natural look of the tanks!

M

mathieu

Yes will rince them a lot. Don't want to get some bacterias in my Tank.

Unfortunately, one of my Newts is ill, it was like that when I purchased it at the store. It has a infection on the mouth, kind of like on the forum in one post, a Japanese Newt had.

I just hope it does'nt die.

They don't seem to eat, well I do not see them. But I did find some poop this morning.

I cleaned my tank and added 6 inches of water to bring it to around 10 inches as you suggested. Is it normal they don't move a lot?

ali

Reaction score
my cynops moves around very little but is healthy. I don't think it is abnormal for the species.

I

ian

my cynops actually move a lot at their adult age. I will suggest you to get some pothos. You can easily that them from flower shop or perhaps a supermarket. Very common and hardy plant. But when you get them from those places, they are very likely a terrestrial plant. You have to wash them and cut a piece with some roots and put in water. Sometime you dont need root at all and it will grow out afterward as well.

I will suggest to isolate the two animals if one of it is sick.

M

mathieu

I think I found some Pothos, i'm not sure as they don't write the name on it.

I've also raised my water level to 9 inches as Katie suggested, but I don't have anything floating yet for them to climb on. Forcing them to go aquatic.

As far as for food, I've diluted some Bloodworms in the water 3 days ago, I never saw the news eat them. Yesterday I cleaned the remnants and at night, I've given them so petshop pallets, wich they haven't touched yet. I know that earthworms are a good idea. Just wanted to know if you have some advices on that
happy.gif

J

jeff

You might try feeding the bloodworms right to their mouths, let them smell them. Also, If you want to try worms, you can chop them and use a toothpick to hold the peice right in front. And After about 35 minutes you should remove un-eaten food.

M

mathieu

The bloodworms are frozen though, I could unfreeze them and take some. How many to I have to give to my newts? It did quite a mess in my tank the other day
happy.gif

Will try the feeding with toothpick method for earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!