Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudata.org Meet and Greet: Oct. 12, Tinley Park, IL

A

aaron

For all of you unlucky enough to make it to the "Meet and Greet," I have picture of those that attended, with the exception of Isaiah, as he left early
sad.gif

6631.jpg

Left to right: Dave Nash, Aaron LaForge(the coolest one), Rob St. John

(Message edited by Babamba on October 13, 2003)

R

rob

I'll post some photos of animals at the show tomorrow if I get to it for anyone interested.

I think it's important to note that more salamanders were in the parking lots then in the whole show. Also, Dave has asked for his next birthday present that everyone send him a large foam rock with some fake texturing on it. He loves them.

I'm tired...me sleep now.

A

aaron

Rob, that's somewhat unfair, as there were NO salamanders or newts in the show.

~Aaron

J

john

Well done guys - why does Dave look like a deer caught in the headlights?

How do people feel about an "International" Meet & Greet? Pick a continent, any continent (I'm almost serious). I would consider staging it in the USA - how does the European contingent feel? To be honest, probably my favourite location would be the UK - it's sort of more in the middle. What does everyone think? I'd be there no matter where it would be.

C

claire

I'd love to come but as I never have any money I'll only be there if it's in the UK.
lol.gif

But then the majority view matters here
happy.gif

Sounds like a good idea though John

morg

Reaction score
Claire, you sound like me, money is always a problem for me also, but if a meet n greet did go ahead in the UK I would try my hardest to make it.

N

nate

Isn't Iceland more in the middle than the UK? Or maybe the Azores?
dizzy.gif

I doubt I could ever afford a UK meeting as well (or even an east or west coast US meeting). It would be a lot of fun though. Especially in a great caudate habitat like the Appalachians or the Cascades.

TJ

Reaction score
Hey, don't forget the Asian contingent!
frog.gif
I wouldn't rule out a trip to the UK but would favor a caudate-rich location like Nate suggested -- then we could all do some "newty" activities together...Cascades, Appalachians, Okinawa or elsewhere in Japan. And hold it during the breeding season when there's lots to see! Aren't there places where enormous numbers of amorous newts cross the roads and get squished by the thousands? We could deploy our forces there...
violent.gif

(Message edited by TJ on October 15, 2003)

K

kaysie

Tim, i think that would be somewhere in the Appalachians... pennsylvania-west virginia ish. i suggest we all get a radio flyer wagon, and load newts into them, and give them free trips across the road. "why did the newt cross the road?..."

U

uwe

Hi herpers,

interesting discussion about an international meeting. But you don´t have to think about a new one. There is already one in place and it will happen this weekend in Gersfeld, Germany. And it is truely international. At least 10 nationalities are present.
So see you at the weekend (or next year)

Uwe

J

john

Ok, this is where I'm going to be controversial. Gersfeld is a purely "indoor" exercise. I certainly endorse the idea of getting out and about and seeing the animals in their habitat. I confess that the Appalachians sound good to me. I don't believe we should try and imitate something like Gersfeld or IAD. This should be something special to us. I'm very serious about this. A European event and and an American event might be a good compromise, if enough people were interested.

To those who think I might be dreaming, I think this would be a wonderful idea for 2004 and I think we should decide whether to do it or not. I'm all in favour of it and would organise things as far as possible.

D

david

I like the idea of a Spring field trip too. If it turns into an annual event perhaps we can very it. The Appalachians one year, the Ozarks or Pacific Northwest the next. There's plenty of unique species in the "New World".

S

scott

Sorry, I'm more of a lurker here than anything,
blush.gif

but I say one in the Pac NW would be great. Sara and I both live there (we live about 2 hours apart). I know some great spots to find T. g. granulosa, Plethodon vehiculum, A. m. macrodactylum. I'm sure Sara knows some great spots too.
happy.gif

Scott

K

kaysie

count me in for pretty much anywhere in the US, for now, as long as its planned ahead of time.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Why not do it as a part of IAD? Last time their were lots of salamanders offered for sale at IAD and 3 or 4 of the lectures were about salamanders and caecilians. A couple of years ago one of the field trips was observing salamanders at Camp David.
Of course my bias is because I have participated in International Amphibian Day since it started. It's held only about an hour from my house. It will be held April 2nd through 4th 2004. www.intlamphibday.org

S

swan

I agree with Michael that it would make sense to do it as part of IAD. People could have the "indoor" and "outdoor" experiences together, or come for just the fieldtrip.
In later years, the fieldtrip could be associated with other meetings, like the Gersfeld meeting, or be held independently, if change of location too far from the IAD location is desired. Kind of rotating, if it turns out to be popular enough.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A number of people that are members of Caudata.org have participated in IAD in the past and I expect they will in the future. All of those salamander people usually hang out together at IAD and sit together at the banquet. I usually "jump" back and forth between the salamander people and the frog people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!