Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible mouth rot

C

chris

I recently aquired 3 paramesotritons. I think one may have mouth rot. It has not yet eaten (after 4 days) and has a swollen area running parallel to the jaw bone at the front of the mouth, giving it a 'pouting' look. It is just a thin strip of swelling. Otherwise it is active, but shy.
A) is it contageous?
B) how can I confirm what it is? It may just be what the newt looks like.
C) If it is mouthrot how do I treat it?
Thanks
Chris

D

dean

Well if it is not eating dont worry man! My newts barely ever eat but when they do they eat loads try to feed them every 4 days ok? if they dont eat try the next day and try experimenting with your food you give them. The swollen jaw will be them beating there mouth of the gravel when they are moving dont worry! if theres anything else just e-mail or post ok cya!

P.S Your newts will be shy becuase they are getting used to the surroundings...

J

jesper

I think Chris knows when and what to feed his newts....

Can you post a pic Chris?
Newts and illness isnt a very good combination as you know, nobody is ever answering these kinds of questions....Nobody knows much for sure I suppose - only their own experience.

Same with me - here goes nothing:
wink.gif

I think mouth rot is usually caused by a bacteria, so I would use use kanamycin or an agent against mouthrot/finrot for fishes - in this case you probably will have to use it in concentrated form and dab it directly on the wound if it is on the "outside" of the mouth(jaw)(It sounds like most of the infected area are on the outside anyway).
Otherwise I would make a very small bath with very strong solution in it and bath the whole newt(5-10min)/ give antibiotic together with the meals - assuming it is mouthrot.

Hope he recovers and keep us informed!
Cheers!
/Jesper

C

chris

Too late, the new one died in the night. It had a huge oad of fungus in its mouth that wasn't there in the morning. Now another has developed a fungal sore on his back and a swollen, gaping jaw.
Chris

J

jesper

Fungus? That is surely strange, if it goes that fast it should be bacteria. Are you sure the fungus arent a secondary infection due to a primary bacterial infection?
I would really like details since there are so little info on diseases. Get some kanamycin Chris!

I have never had problems with fungus so I cant help you there.

C

chris

Jesper,
Where d'you get kanamyacin from? Is that the fish medecine for fungus?
It was a reallly strange way to go. The evening before he died, he was more sluggish than he had been. In the morning he was dead, with four complete shed skins and a saprolengia type growth coming out of the gaping mouth. As I took it back to the shop, it stayed in a margarine tub for a while, and the growth grew to about double the size. It's really weird...
Thanks for the help,
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!