Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand...

Kayne

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello, It has been a while since i've posted anything, But i'm on the verge of buying axolotls. (Today I just got myself an 850x400x400mm tank).

I popped into a pet store (the fish store I usually go to is bit far away) to buy sand, and they said that sand is too hard to clean, and that I should get gravel.

I already know that gravel has to be bigger than the axolotls mouth will ever be, (and I don't exactly want gravel), But apparently the pet store guy didn't (even though he assured me he knew about axolotls). He walked over to a bag of gravel that was around 1cm long and half a cm wide.

Because of this, I'm not sure I want to listen to him as he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

So. Is there anything wrong with pure white sand? harder to clean? Blocks up filters?

I'm planning to use that cylinder and rubber tubing cleaning method (i'm not sure about the proper name), where you create a suction... I'm sure you all know what i'm talking about.

So a second question would be, Would I use the same method of cleaning or something completley differant?

Cheers
Kayne

ghogg

Reaction score
Cleaning sand is pretty easy with a siphon. Keep it moving over the sand's surface and it mostly picks up the detritus and leaves the sand behind. Some sand does get removed but most that gets sucked up falls back down the siphon into the tank. Its a lot easier to clean than gravel, just make sure the layer of sand isn't too deep. Around 1cm is enough, any more and it starts collecting gases under the surface. The sand goes all black and releases a bad odour when disturbed.
There are a few types of sand available and there are plenty of forum posts about the types and which are ok to use. Make sure its well rinsed before going in the tank. It can block up filters but that can be avoided by simply switching the filter off when cleaning or if your stirring up the sand.
Any stones or gravel that goes in the tank need to be much bigger than the axolotl's head, not just its mouth, there's a few horror stories about that on here too!

Hope this helps.

wendyatk

Reaction score
We had gravel in our tank to start with but then changed more or less to sand after reading posts and getting advice on here. I dont have a problem cleaning sand and I have two axies . I dont think a lot of people in the pet stores have a clue about axies and so if i were you i would go for sand. I have used play sand in our tanks and if it is washed throughly you will be okay.

Kayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Its good to hear info from people that know what they're talking about :)

I'll probably post pictures of my 2 new axolotls in their big tank next week :)

Manifest

Reaction score
I'm no expert at all, but I am cycling a tank now with fine white sand as substrate, gave it a clean last night with a small siphon "gravel vac" and had no issues at all, the sand doesn't clog up the tubes and as long as I didn't put the end straight into the sand I managed to only get the waste and food debris and not substrate into my bucket. Also, the sand looks great and has less crevices for waste to fall into and get missed in the cleaning! We were fortunate in the aquarium we bought our gear from actually has some clue about keeping axies and recommend sand right from the get-go.

blueberlin

Reaction score
I would really love it if someone could explain to me why sand is considered difficult to clean. I read that now and again and wonder why.

It is possible to use a very fine gravel, but the grain must be smaller than 3mm (for an adult axolotl). I don't see how gravel would be easier than sand, though.

Always worth mentioning that the sand substrate should not be deeper than 1 inch (2-3 cm) though, because otherwise it can build air pockets which sour and spoil the water.

-Eva

bunny27

Reaction score
Hi, I changed to sand recently and not only am I happy about it, but my axolotls seem to be happy about it as well. It keeps them from sliding across the tank floor and they like to lie on top of the sand :D. I don't think it's hard to clean after I got the hang of it. Let us know what you decide XD.

christen525

Reaction score
I am new to axies as well but I have the Caribsea super naturals tahitian moon sand and the Marina easy clean gravel vac. It works great for me and the sand hasn't ever clogged my filter. The gravel vacs also work great for water changes. As s side note, I don't know who to give the credit to (sorry), but someone on the forum suggested using a turkey baster for everyday cleaning up of poop and debris which works GREAT!

Kayne

Reaction score
Hi guys, I set everything up today :D

I chose sand, I didn't want to bother with giant pebbels as I just think that would be harder to clean. I picked up some java moss today as well as a giant half - log, where my 2 new axies love to hang out under. I've only done a 1cm layer of sand, And they're happy.

The only problems i'm having is feeding them pellets, Its so hard to keep putting it near their nose, drop it, and then pick it up if they don't suck it up, and repeat.

Its a bit easier to feed earth worms, as I can dangle it infront of their faces, and then once they've started begging for it, I can drop it...and down the hatch it goes! :D

Their names are Blacky and Pinky (because one is black, and one is pink), Another question I have is, Is their any way to know their sex? They're only 15cm long and I can guess they arn't that old, So they arn't mature yet.. although that leads me to another question...

My black axolotl keeps laying on my pink one! "Pinky" is the laziest of the two, and just sits happily, then suddenly "Blacky" will lie on top of him. I know they arn't mating (because i've read they mate differantly) but WHAT the hell is "Blacky" trying to do!?

Okay, Enough talking. These photos are horrible, But they're the best I can get :(

2eb4okn.jpg

34qmp9l.jpg

Last edited:

Martinice

Reaction score
I am new to axies as well but I have the Caribsea super naturals tahitian moon sand and the Marina easy clean gravel vac. It works great for me and the sand hasn't ever clogged my filter. The gravel vacs also work great for water changes. As s side note, I don't know who to give the credit to (sorry), but someone on the forum suggested using a turkey baster for everyday cleaning up of poop and debris which works GREAT!

CREDIT TO: Justin

maxiaxie

Reaction score
The best way to determine if a pet store guy knows about axolotls is if he spells the name right. If he doesn't I wouldn't trust him to know an axolotl from a tiger salamander. I am also having some problems with substrate, but I think that sand is probably OK, as long as you don't suck up too much! You could use pebbles as substrate, or river rocks though...

:D:D:D good luck! :D:D:D

maxiaxie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I set everything up today :D

I chose sand, I didn't want to bother with giant pebbels as I just think that would be harder to clean. I picked up some java moss today as well as a giant half - log, where my 2 new axies love to hang out under. I've only done a 1cm layer of sand, And they're happy.

The only problems i'm having is feeding them pellets, Its so hard to keep putting it near their nose, drop it, and then pick it up if they don't suck it up, and repeat.

Its a bit easier to feed earth worms, as I can dangle it infront of their faces, and then once they've started begging for it, I can drop it...and down the hatch it goes! :D

Their names are Blacky and Pinky (because one is black, and one is pink), Another question I have is, Is their any way to know their sex? They're only 15cm long and I can guess they arn't that old, So they arn't mature yet.. although that leads me to another question...

My black axolotl keeps laying on my pink one! "Pinky" is the laziest of the two, and just sits happily, then suddenly "Blacky" will lie on top of him. I know they arn't mating (because i've read they mate differantly) but WHAT the hell is "Blacky" trying to do!?

Okay, Enough talking. These photos are horrible, But they're the best I can get :(

2eb4okn.jpg

34qmp9l.jpg
if you can get me a better quality, side-on picture I can tell you the genders, because in males the cloaca (the bit under the base of the tail) is larger and more bulbous, and the head is thinner. My axies are both male as well, and they just lie on top of each other all the time! I think they are basically just resting, and they don't care where.

Orvilleberta

Reaction score
Good choice on going with sand. I think the axolotls like it and it doesn't stress out their toes.

I don't think my axolotl really liked the smooth floor. I guess it all depends on the axolotl.

I also like how you went with a large body of water. The more water there is, the more toxins are dispersed and kept clean.

I agree that petshops don't really know much about axolotls (or even fire bellied newts for that matter).

Submarine

Reaction score
My axies like to eat the Tahitian moon sand that I just put in their tank.. I'm a bit worried because it's not really a smooth sand...

Kenneth

Reaction score
Yeah, the CaribSea supernaturals sand works great for me :)... I don't think I have the Tahitian moon sand, thats the black one right? I bought the white sand..its MEGA fine, it feels like silk, and I know she loves it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!