Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus marmoratus with strange illness

J

jennifer

I have two T. marmoratus, about 1.5 years old, just on the brink of maturity. At the same time, both stopped eating and I noticed they both had a slight lump on their backs. It can be seen in the photos, just in front of the back legs. The one in the picture has a very noticable bulge, the other one has a much smaller bulge, but it is there. Neither have eaten in nearly a month, so I fear their prospects are grim. They had a large feeding of crickets just before this became noticable, so I suspect this could have been the cause (or part of the cause).

Anyone else ever seen such a thing? Any ideas about cause or treatment?

7396.jpg

7397.jpg

A

aaron

It could in fact be a result of impaction(constipation) and there may be nothing you can do, aside from surgery. Although crickets(those available commercially) have very soft bodies, it is very possible that a part of their shell may have gotten lodged somewhere and was unable to be digested.

I do not have too much knowledge of this in caudates, but in geckos, some keepers have luck force-feeding vegetable oil as a lubricant.

Another technique used in lizards is to soak them in water to help loosen the stool. If the marmoratus aren't too prone to drowning, I would try to keep them aquatic.

Good Luck!!!

~Aaron

han

Reaction score
Absolutely no offence (i do hope they get better)
but i find it incomprehensible: feeding junkfood like McCrickets to amphibians.

S

sergé

Depends on what you feed the crickets; I breed my own crickets in an old frigde and therefor can control their diet. I feed my juveniel salamanders and newts almost entirely on crickets dusted with Korvimin or some kind of calcium containing powder (Equimins limestone flour seems to do very well for Salamandra I heard from an excelent english breeder).

J

jennifer

Unfortunately, one died.

Regarding crickets, I've never heard them called junk food. I agree that worms are better for most sals (and mostly what I feed), but crickets are an excellent source of protein. Their only drawback that I know of is their lack of calcium.

J

jennifer

Follow-up. The second marmoratus (the one in both pictures above) reached the point of being near death. Following euthanasia, autopsy revealed that the "lump" on its back was clearly a deformity of the spine. The digestive tract looked normal.

I think this must have been metabolic bone disease (MBD), which is generally a result of lack of calcium or vitamin D. This does not explain why both newts stopped eating after a single (rare) feeding of crickets.

I know another person who has also had T. marmoratus die with bent spines. I suspect that this species may have a more stringent need for calcium or vitamin D than other species of caudates commonly kept.

I know of no other examples of caudates with MBD. I have heard of no documented cases in the literature (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Has anyone else on this forum had any experience with MBD in caudates?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!