Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Proposed UK+Ireland Registry

J

john

Well, there seems to be great enthusiasm behind the idea of a "British Isles" Registry (i.e. UK and Ireland). Mike East has volunteered to oversee its use, I'm volunteering to actually set the site up and design it, and William Jones has also volunteered his services. Most importantly of all, those lovely people over at the USCR have allowed us to use their site's engine.

One big question remains unanswered though: What exactly do we call it?

Seeing as I'm pushing to include Ireland in it, I don't think it's fair to just label it UKCR :p. Any input please?

And if anyone has any other comments to make, please let's have them.

J

john

Call me slow, but what does the K stand for William?

Andrew: What does RCKU stand for?

J

jennifer

Asking for acronyms is asking for trouble
wink.gif

Caudate Registry for Ireland Plus England and Subterritories (CRIPES)

J

john

I like BICR (pronounced "Bicker") - British and Irish Caudata Registry. I don't like the term caudate :p. I'm serious.

S

shaun

I was thinking of labelling the Canadian version as the Canadian Urodela Registry, or the Canadian Urodela Tracker. I guess I could call it the Canadian Urodela Lissamphibia List, but I'd hate to stir up painful memories of killing off defenseless deformed larvae.

Y

yago

What about starting a European Union registry? instead of so many different registries. And within the EU registry we could set different categories along with a search engine for country, breeder, genus, specie, subspecies...
Just an idea.
Best greetings

J

john

Yago, in an ideal world I think your idea is perfect. I just don't think it's feasible yet, given the varying attitudes around Europe.

I fear that many people would view such a registry as "us" (Caudata.org, or perhaps even me?) trying to impose our (my?) will upon an entire continent.

I'm not willing to take that step until we have significantly more participation from the mainland European people, most of whom just read the forum and never utter a squeek. For example, so far this month there has been almost 4 times as much traffic from Germany as there has been from Canada. Considering we have several vocal Canadians, don't you find it odd that we don't have even a comparable number of vocal Germans? We're not talking a little traffic either. We're talking 10000 pages/50000 hits loaded by/from Germans (statistic based on .de accesses) in the first 17 days of November.

If you think that's weird, after the USA, Sweden is the country from which we get most traffic.

TJ

Reaction score
That's just Jesper and his itchy keyboard fingers
lol.gif

It would be seriously interesting to see that traffic chart. Can you get a breakdown of actually users by country in a given month, not just the number of hits?

K

kim

John I like BICR, but British Isles Caudata Registry.

As this then would cover everywhere, Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc

J

john

Kim: me too.

Tim: I can't give you unique visitor numbers because the stat program doesn't provide them based on country. I can give you this though, the number of pages, hits, and bandwidth per country domain for the days November 1st-18th. Please note that com, net, org, tv, info, etc, can be registered in any country and do not indicate geographical location, but you can be sure that probably 60-80% of those are from the US.

<font color="ff0000">November 1st-18th:</font>
26671.gif

Christmas Island - how about that
wacko.gif
? In any case, greetings to our truly international audience.

J

jesper

Yeah well, I admit I have read 72000 pages in the last 17 days
lick.gif

I dunno it might have something to do with that I have repeatedly posted caudata.org's address on every swedish amphibian forum there is, but I imagine the interest were there even before that.

How has the swedish statistics changed over the past couple of months?

J

john

Let's replace "for" with "or". So BICR versus CRIB. What say everyone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!