Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire sal won't eat

J

julie

I have a 2 year old fire salamander that has stopped eating. His sibling has been steadily gaining weight and he has stopped eating completely and is starting to look really bad. I've tried crickets, waxworms, and earthworms. I've even tried force feeding, but he spits them out. Any suggestions to make him gain weight would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

C

christopher

hey, that is kinda of a messed up situation but you can fix it by placing the skinny newt in a seperate container 'cause odds are the 2 big ones will continue to eat all of the food so just put him in another tank and try to put supplements on his food to help him gain more weight fast.......you could take him to the vet ( he might be sick )
sick.gif

................well best of LuCk

C

christopher

oh , and by he way I wouldnt suggest wax worms (
nono.gif
tough skin)

J

jennifer

Regarding the advice from Christopher, I considered deleting it outright. The only thing there I agree with is that it might be a good idea to isolate the sick one. Keep it in a tub with clean damp paper towels and a hiding place.

Regarding force feeding, I was told that if you make the sal walk immediately after putting the food in its mouth, it is less likely to spit it out.

What kind of setup do you have for the fire sals? I'm concerned that the illness could have been due to warm temp or acidic substrate problems, which you can correct for the sibling. Sorry, but I don't have any further ideas for treatment - refusing food can a symptom of many different problems.

C

christopher

ya, you are probably right about my advice 'cause even I thought that I was taking it a little to far but I don't think that it gives you a reason to delete my message...
shocked.gif

J

julie

Thanks for the advice. I've had them in the same 10 gal. aquarium for the past year and a half with bed-a-beast substrate (just changed last week) and plastic plants, hides, and a water dish. It was a bit warmer here last week, but I keep the AC at 72 or lower - so i'm hoping the setup isn't really the problem. I've separated the sick one into his own little "ICU". I got him to swallow a waxworm and a half today, so I'm hoping that might help him gain some strength. Anyone have a low stress way to get him to open his mouth?

Thanks again!
Julie

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!