Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fridging my Axolotl

Travis

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to fridge my axolotl due to heat stress. The temp has gone up to 86f! and hes starting to have red spots on him, such as bleeding. Though hes still eating and looks happy, but i know this is really really really bad.

Okay, so I was looking at the aquarium shop, and we have this small aquarium. It's a 2.5 gallon tank, and it would be ideal to put in the fridge. But I wouldn't have to change the water every day since the tank size is larger than say, a lunch thing. Would I still need to change his tank water every day? Or can the fridge just act as the chiller since I can't afford a whole new setup.

Here is a image of the tank.

bf526t.jpg

(Note: This is not his tank. It is a tank for a crab we recently got. I would never put gravel near my axolotl)

Basically what i'm saying it, this will act as his tank for the summer, I would feed him every day, but I wouldn't change his tank water every day. How often should I change the water in the fridge?

Also, what would you also suggest?

Last edited:

Linus

Reaction score
Taken from Axolotl Sanctuary re: fridging
"3. Fridging:
The water must be changed 100% each day using the fridged dechlorinated water, as this ensures the axolotl is not subjected to temperature shock. It is imperative that the water be changed each day while the axolotl is residing in the colder water, as the cold will cause the axolotl to poop more often, which fouls the water.

While the axolotls body is releasing wastes with more efficiancy (this is why fridging is ideal for helping clear impaction), on the other hand the metabolism is slowed right down. The slowed metabolism will decrease the axolotls appetite and will also slow weight loss.

The axolotl can stay in the fridge for however long it takes for their health to improve, and the axolotl could stay in the fridge indefinately if necessary."

It sounds like you might want to look into cooling rather than fridging your axie for the entire summer. Do you have access to a basement? There are many threads here on COOLING if you use the search bar.

Take the gravel out asap to avoid impaction.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl

Your answer is somewhere in here! Hope this helps.

Travis

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately all the other options are out of the question at the moment. I do not have access to other of these materials at the moment. However, the fridge would and could be the chilling option since I will be using a minifridge (I can adjust the temperature). Would this work alright? Also remember, the tank size is bigger than most fridging, and wouldn't get as fowled by the waste since it's 2.5gallons.

Basically I am putting my axolotl in a 2.5 gallon tank, and putting the tank into the minifridge which i can change the temperature of, thus 100% water change per day wouldn't be required, or am I wrong? Thanks for the reply again.

Linus

Reaction score
I suppose if you can keep it within axie's normal temp range that would be okay. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Still take out the gravel.
axie_stone1.jpg

Travis

Reaction score
I suppose if you can keep it within axie's normal temp range that would be okay. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Still take out the gravel.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Also I never had gravel. I researched before and have never added gravel. His substrate is sand. The aquarium place used gravel and caused him great harm, however that was a while ago and he's long healed from that.

I'm glad you're letting everyone know though because it is a huge mistake most people make when keeping axolotls.

Also, that photo I showed you is not his tank. It is a tank I was talking about that we have for a crab.

Linus

Reaction score
Good :] Yeah if you can control the temp to something reasonable I don't see why the mini-fridge would be a problem, works out kind of well.

Travis

Reaction score
Good :] Yeah if you can control the temp to something reasonable I don't see why the mini-fridge would be a problem, works out kind of well.

Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking too. I don't see why it would be a problem. I would also take out the light bulb, so I wouldn't even need to cover up his tank, and the mini fridge would only be used for his water changing bottles, and his tank. It works out great.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. If you're keeping him in a mini-fridge, he should be fine for an indefinite period of time. Just make sure there's enough air flow.

As for how often to change the water, I imagine you'll probably have to change 20-30% (maybe more) every couple of days. It's best to monitor this with water quality tests. Once you start getting noticable ammonia, you'll know it's time to do a water change.

Travis

Reaction score
Well, here we are. I got the fridge (200 dollars) and a 2.5 gallon tank (10 dollars) and it looks great.

I was going to get a small little thing fridge, but I doubt it would have enough power. This sure does have enough power. I just got it and had it on for about an hour and it's already down to 65F! When my other one is at 83F :)

Here are some photos:

2h3si00.jpg

(the outside, with the light on, don't worry i'll be disabling the light always).

ay0xna.jpg

(The inside where I have his tank at, with lots of space above so I don't need to move the tank when feeding)

10n8bgz.jpg

(The whole inside of the fridge)

What do you think? :)

Travis

Reaction score
Wow I woke up and it's at 30F lol, turned it all the way down and i'll wait to see what the final reading is. I'm aiming for about 60F. Once i'm there, I'll prepare my axolotl to go inside. :)

iChris

Reaction score
looks good to me.

just be sure as above that there is enough air circulation.

have you thought of adding a small sponge filter? this could (over time) buy you some extra time between water changes and assist with air circulation.

Travis

Reaction score
looks good to me.

just be sure as above that there is enough air circulation.

have you thought of adding a small sponge filter? this could (over time) buy you some extra time between water changes and assist with air circulation.

I have thought about this, but I don't know how I would get the tube outside the fridge. Wouldn't the door block the tubes air, or the tube would cause the fridge from being air tight? (or pop it open).

Also for air circulation there is a fan built inside of the fridge, wouldn't that be plenty?

Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You could try it. An air tube is pretty flexible, and it depends on what kind of seal is on the door. It's a good suggestion.

I wouldn't put a lid on the tank inside the fridge. That's cutting air circulation way down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!