Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

EMERGENCY! Please help!

E

elizabeth

I tried giving my C.O. a small, white slug just a few minutes ago, and she bit.../something/ next to the snail, I dont know if it was a rock with some slime on it, or just a piece of the slug. (She never ate the entire slug, she didn't seem to like it that much) But now she seems to be having trouble swallowing because she's been trying to swallow and cough up whatever seems to be troubling her. I can't seem to get her to open her mouth, and she wont spit it out. She /can/ however open her mouth, because I did see her go up for air. But I had to handle her to see if I could get her mouth open via a toothpick, and you know that rapid croaking-like throat thing they do? She would do it, but then she would stop and puff up her neck and either swallow or trying to puke, I dont know which she's trying to do, but its not stoping. Please help! I might be worrying about nothing, but I know this isn't normal for her.

E

elizabeth

Now she can't seem to be able to close her mouth all the way. And there's gooey white stuff and slug slime coming from her mouth. Maybe she's having trouble swallowing the slime? PLEASE HELP!

J

joan

The puffing thing is just breathing. Most caudates do small ones to move small amounts of air over membranes in their throat, and then do a big one to move air into the lungs proper. This is normal. The opening of the mouth and swallowing was probably trying to rid of the slug slime. Keep her in the water, and keep an eye on her. If she's coming up for air, I wouldn't freak out just yet. And avoid any more slugs. Especially if you don't know if they're poisonous or not.

E

elizabeth

Thanks a bunch. I know those slugs aren't poisonous, so its all good. She is coming up for air, but she just can't seem to close her mouth and swallow whatever it is all the way. But I'll definetly keep an eye on her. Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!