Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necturus punctatus (Dwarf Waterdog) in a 10 gallon?

ryan

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm going to get one (because I have no idea where to get them). I was just wondering if I could keep one in a 10 gallon tank seeing that they only get 6 inches long. If I were to keep one in the 10 gal would the N. maculosus requirements be the same. I am aware that they like slow currents or no current at all and they are also found farther south (so warmer water temps?) Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, does anyone no where I could purchase them?

E

erik

Yeah you could keep one in a 10 gallon, although a 15 gallon would be better. I keep them from 42-72F depending on the time of year. I collected mine in a fairly swift flowing stream, but I know they do occur in calm backwater areas.

I doubt you will find any available commercially (which is good). You'll have to collect your own or locate someone within their range who is willing to collect them for you.

ryan

Reaction score
Well I really can't head down south to catch them so I guess it won't happen. Oh well.

D

dane

they dont have dwarf muddpuppys around the great lakes, just regular ones

ryan

Reaction score
correct, even if they were around the Great Lakes I still couldn't get any.
angry.gif
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!