View Single Post
Old 27th September 2018   #12
Matt O
(mroconno)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mroconno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New T. natans caresheet (need feedback)

I know this thread is a little old but I was curious what people had posted in caecilian section since not many people have worked with them! I get to work with T. natans at an aquarium, they are truly fascinating creatures. Only anecdotal things I can add from our experiences is we cycle water temperatures in our Amazon exhibit from 77 F to 84 F, we do not drop water depths. Our amazon water has a pH in the range of 6.5-6.8 and low conductivity below 220-230. We see births year round, we just had some 7 years old females give birth recently (single offspring to each) so that fits with sexual maturity around 6 years old. We start our babies on blood worm/brine shrimp mix.

You could also mention some of the medical concerns. Medically, there is a great recent chapter on them in the textbook Fowler's Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine Volume 8. We keep heaters in the sumps to prevent chances of contact/thermal burns. We use caution when handling as their mucus/slime coat is very important to prevent secondary infections. Primary and secondary bacterial or fungal infections are the most common infectious diseases we see, Saprolegnia is most common water mold. We treat cutaneous lesions with salt immersions, 2-3 parts per thousand salt. Diagnosis is via skin scrapes and microscopic cytologic review. Caecilians can get chytrid fungus and nematode parasites can be problematic in wild caught individuals. Other issues include cloacal prolapse and colitis/GI tract infections. Geriatric issues I've seen include mostly kidney disease.

So much more to learn about this fascinating species, thanks for compiling this.
mroconno is offline   Reply With Quote