Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chytrid Fungus research articles

J

joan

For all you 'experts' out there, I'm looking for some research articles on chytrid and the spread through the amphibian population. Specifically, I'd like some that give an idea of how chytrid gets to an area (humans, I know, but I can't just 'say that' in a scholastic paper), the effects it has on native populations (all amphibs), and has chytrid been seen in naturally-occuring populations of gymnophiona?

E

edward

Chytrid has not to my knowledge been documented in native caecilian populations probably due to how infrequently that the caecilians are studied in the wild. Chytrid has been documented in captive caecilian populations in Europe.

See http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no12/03-0804.htm
It also includes a good bibliography of relevent articles.

Ed

J

joan

You guys are good at this.

I'm writing a 'literary review' paper for my herpetology class. I need at least 3 good sources, and I figured something about chytrid would have plenty.

Thanks guys.

J

joan

Thank you, Paris. With this wealth of data, I'd better earn a 4.0 on this paper now.

TJ

Reaction score
I just saw that CNN plans to broadcast a special about this subject on Sunday, "Global..." something or other (didn't catch the program's name(.

E

edward

To continue with this thread

Cummer, Michelle R.; Green, D. Earl; O'Neill. Eric M.; 2005; Aquatic chytrid pathogen detected in terrestrial plethodontid salamander, Herpetological Review 36(3):248-249

Chytrid was found and identified in Plethodon nemexicanus a species endemic to the relatively dry slopes of Jemez Mountains, New Mexico.
The fungus caused the salamander to retain shed skin patches near the vent of the salamander.
The more important implication is that this is the first documentaton in a North American species that is totally terrestrial and may indicate that totally terrestrial species like terrestrial caecilians are more at risk. It also implies that chytrid can survive and be transmitted simply by contact with the soil.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on November 17, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!