Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Caudata.ru's Registry" - forerunner of the World Caudata Registry ?

A

alexander

I have read "Proposed UK + Ireland Registry" and I agree to the phrase of Yago from Barcelona "What about starting a European Union registry? instead of so many different registries..."
But I want to inform him that it isn't necessary to "...start the spanish caudata registry", it exists : www.caudata.ru/registry
It is significant that Spaniards is majority in the www.caudata.ru/registry ("Caudata.ru's Registry") !
Dear colleague, I have a favour to ask of you to to appreciate www.caudata.ru/registry at its true value.

Y

yago

It is a pleasure to participate. You shoud creat in caudata.ru the spanish branch registry...haha
Best greetings
Yago

R

rubén

So... now we have another group of fanatics, spanish this time
hat.gif

Will be a pleasure participate
Cheers !

J

jennifer

I am surprised so few people have responded to this thread. The new registry looks like a worthwhile endeavor. Setting up these things is not easy, so I appreciate the work Alexander put into it. Alexander, what do you mean by "forerunner of the World Caudata Registry"?

I’d like to see some discussion about the pros and cons of single-country (or regional) versus international registries. Although I’ve been involved with USCR, I don’t have a strong opinion about it. Our logic with the USCR project was to make it single-country so that we could openly encourage people to exchange animals for breeding purposes or offer CB animals for sale. The US is a large enough country that we could have a significant number of people participating, and people have at least some chance of finding people geographically close.

In the end, any registry will only be valuable if a significant number of people participate. We have a small hobby, so there are not many people to begin with. The problem I see is that many people will want to look at what other people have, without actually signing up themselves.

I would be very interested in what other people’s thoughts are about registries in general (or about specific ones). Also, I would encourage people to sign up with the USCR, the Swedish registry, or the Caudata.ru registry.

W

william

i've joined the caudata.ru registry, entered my tiny collection of 6!
biggrin.gif
but i assumed that the swedish and U.S registries were only for those countries.

BTW how is our own British registry coming on?

A

alexander

Thank you Jennifer and William for your messages!

I agree to the phrase "We have a small hobby, so there are not many people to begin with".
I think that Internet means the joining up of the people(s) and creation of the Swedish or British registry is creation of the isolated SwedishNet or BritishNet. It's quite another matter the creation Registries of mainlands (in virtue of their geographic remoteness). But I see no need to do it for Africa (I am not sure that caudata-keepers live there) and I have some doubt that in Latin America, Australia and Asia caudata-keepers are large in number. And truth to tell, the distance in the 21th century is not barrier.

So I am sure that "globalisation" for caudata-keepers is inevitable.
I don't defend www.caudata.ru/registry (I'll be very glad if anybody offers another "International Registry"), I defend the Idea.
Caudata-keepers of the world, unite!

W

william

we do have several members from japan, china and Taiwan. and there are several members from south america, australia only allows axies in to there country, but i belive New Zealand lets a few caudates in.

A

alexander

Dear William, your message is a confirmation of my words. And caudata.org is "globalisator" of caudata-community of Internet.
English is "esperanto" at present and each caudata-keeper-"interneter" feels a need for the contacts with other keepers.
But the keeper's internet-needs is not only forum/chat, this is interesting articles about newts, photos of required species, news and Registries too.

I think that the accomplishment of the tasks is very difficult for the one caudata-portal. And the specialization of caudata-resources of Internet takes place.

W

william

i'd like to see an international registry, but if so i think it should only be for the species more threatened, since i, (correct me if i'm wrong) are for people to find out what species everyone has and to swap animals to vary blood lines and insure the safety of the species. however i feel that if we have an international registry it should only be for the species that are most threatened by over collecting in the wild, and for people who want to breed the species for the good of the species rather than just keeping them as "pets" or people who keep axolotls. i feel that species such as cynops ensuicauda and echinotriton andersoni would fall under this category.

and with the international registry, there should be continent/country/region registries for everyone in the hobby, since it would be easier to do "swaps" between countries rather than continents. also i feel that the swedish registry, although very good is too restricted. however the USCR wouldn't need the expanding since, i'd bet that over half of all caudates keepers would be across the pond

anyone care to discuss my views?

(Message edited by will_j on March 04, 2005)

J

jennifer

It appears to me that the caudata.ru registry is the closest thing to an international registry. There has been some discussion about broadening the USCR or Swedish registries to include nearby countries. It would make sense for the USCR to be the US&Canada CR. But there is some concern about whether this would create problems of encouraging illegal activity. One of the stated purposes is to encourage the exchange of animals, which always has bureaucratic restrictions (or for some species, is completely illegal) between countries.

Regarding limiting registries to the more-threatened species, I see your point, but I don't think it would improve things. Even with the common species, it's not that easy to find other breeders willing to trade breeding stock. And people still show up on the forums asking where to get an axolotl. Also, including common species in the registries encourages participation from more people.

For bringing together the few people that keep a rarer species, I think that studbooks for specific species are probably the way to go. AG Urodela has a good start on this (http://www.ag-urodela.de/mpkt_5_molchregister_index.htm). Unfortunately, there are still many of the rarer species without a studbook, and there could be additional studbooks that are not listed on the AGU site.

W

william

yes i do like the idea of stud books instead of an international registry, what species have stud books? i know cynops cyanurus has one. the point of the axolotls was to show that they didn't need extra effort for captive breeding. if i was to run an "international" or even a single country registry then i would try to raise awareness to the people who only keep them as "pets" rather than breeding animals, of the importance of breeding the species in question so the wild populations are not raped of their diversity. and if they don't seem bothered then they shouldn't register because they aren't any use to the breeding community.

A

alexander

I share your opinion, dear Jennifer, about "stud book" for rarer species.
But I stoped my work for the enhancement of www.caudata.ru/registry ...
I sense that "inactivity" of caudata-keepers destroys my idea and plans.
I thought a lot about your phrase: "I am surprised so few people have responded to this thread..."
I think that principal reason is "mass factor", each visitor considers "Why must I be the first" so quantity of registered keepers is small in comparison with quantity of visitors (550 in February).
for example, it is no secret that other caudata-forums exist (or existed) in the Internet but they could not accumulate "critical" mass of users for their existence.
Another cause of scanty list of the registered keepers is the fear of the terrariumistes any conflicts with legislations of their countries.
And third cause is unwillingness of the caudata-keepers to divulge true quantity their caudata-collections.
May be exists other causes, (anybody don't like caudata.RU) but "critical" mass of keepers remain principal factor.
It was the first attempt of "World Caudata Registry" but I am sure that caudata-internet-community will come to this idea in several years.

P

paris

alex-
does this mean you're giving up on it? i registered and i like the word pad section that allows for me to make notes to be read by others. with this feature i can tell others what i have had success with, failures and significant dates (like hatchings, morphings etc)-it may take a while to catch on-it took me over a year to register with USCR

A

alexander

Merci beaucoup, cher Joeri!

Paris-
Your message inspired vigour in me! If you consider that www.caudata.ru/registry must exist, I'll perfect this project.
Dear colleagues,
each caudata-Registry as a rule is "classificator" of tailed amphibians, but I see one possibility of its function as "Modern multilingual dictionary".
But I don't know is there a need for this, because I noted that visitors of caudata.org (even the Englishmen) use "Triturus cristatus" instead of "crested newt" !

W

william

as a rule we like to use scientific names instead of vernacular ones because of the confusion that occurs between countries where they are given different names

J

joonas

I registered and added my little collection to the database.

I think that you should keep registry up and running. It is an idea to worth trying!

W

william

definitely keep the registry, as Jennifer said it is the closest thing to an international registry, and it will be very useful in the future, but right now people really need to register!!!

C

charlie

Am confused as to whether I'm welcome to register or not? --- being a keeper of axolotls! (and given that mine have no difficulty whatsoever in breeding all by themselves - the proof being in several large tanks in my studio!)

So, what's the concensus???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!