View Single Post
Old 10th August 2009   #9
jclee
(jclee)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotls stressed by ammonia

OK. Ammonia is gone. Water seems ok. I will stay on top of regular changes to keep it that way.

Now, Max has fungus (?) on her side. [It looks like the "skin mycosis" section described on cc: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml -- I've actually never had to deal with fungal infections in my herps, so I am uncertain.] Is it at all possible this is just a shed (wishful thinking, I know). Is it time to begin salt baths? Or is it possible that it's mild enough that, with water conditions under control, it will clear itself up? The article didn't specify, but I assume I have to treat both animals, even though only one is symptomatic. Do I have to break down and sterilize the whole tank? Will drying out kill this off? Or do I need to bust out the bleach/boiling? Or is it unlikely to be freefloating in the water (which I doubt, but that would make me very happy).

It would be so fantabulous if I were being paranoid, and I didn't have to break down the whole set-up, especially since I finally perfected the water and temp balance. Somehow I doubt it.

Oh, and one last question for anyone who can answer it: While I am very good about hand washing and sterilizing gear between uses to prevent cross-contamination, I would like to know if this can be transmitted to terrestrial amphibians or fish. (I doubt I have to worry about myself, my leopard geckos, and my birds, as none of us prefers high humidity.)

Again, thanks in advance to everyone who has helped. I've never quite had this much trouble establishing a new tank, but, then again, I've never had axolotls before now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fungusonside1.jpg
Views:	3102
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	7477   Click image for larger version

Name:	fungusonside2.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7478   Click image for larger version

Name:	fungusonside3.jpg
Views:	4692