Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hurt Tail Tiger

Canyon

Reaction score
I've had a couple of tigers in a nice sized tank for several years now. When cleaning the tank, I noticed that one had a damaged tail. Looks like it got damaged behind what I am assuming are its sex organs, and the tail appears to be drying and dark and not moving. He hasn't eaten in a little while. I am assuming it's been about a week or so. I was out of town when my husband informed me that the one that was out wasn't eating. I had to handle him a bit yesterday due to cleaning the tank, and he's been lying in the empty water dish. I am assuming because it's the coolest place in the tank.

Due to the fact that the injury is at least a week old, I do not think anything topical will help like plain antibacterial ointment.

He actually looks OK color-wise, but is thinner than normal. If I get a chance I will take a photo, but I don't really want to move him too much in case he feels discomfort.

I have a friend with a turtle and when she returns I will get the name of the vet and make a call in needed. I found these guys in a window well and they have thrived. So it's a little sad to see it hurt.

Any thoughts to what I can do?

Jen - Colorado

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here but sorry for your injured animal.

I realize you may not want to disturb the tiger but a picture may help. Caudates really do have great powers of recovery, but others on the forum may be able to make better suggestions if an image is available to better assess the severity of the injury and the animals overall appearance. And a vet is never a bad idea - if you are able take it in for professional help.

You may want to separate the tiger into a plastic shoe box or something similar and keep it on moist paper towels (I like unbleached paper towels, moistened with aged, dechlorinated water). This could help you keep the injured area cleaner and allow the animal to "convalesce" without tank mates harassing or stressing it any further. You may also be able to feed it on its own to gain more weight if you feel its thin. Provide some hides and change out the paper towels as they become soiled, and place the container in a cool, dark spot. A cool basement would be ideal, but anywhere where temps are low 60F's will suffice.

Do you have an idea regarding the cause of injury? Like maybe a bite from a tank mate, or is there something in the enclosure that could have caused the damage? In addition to getting the little one to heal I would also want to prevent future injuries, so try to determine the cause if you can.

I hope this helps and keep us updated!

Canyon

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I don't think the injured one's tank mate did anything. The injured one was the more active one, the other the more docile ...and that one has been buried in the earth under some rocks for about as long as the other has had the injury.

We have some larger rounded rocks in the tank, and I wonder if he got his tail jammed up when digging under rocks.

I've rinsed him off and put him on some damp paper towels in a box with a few river rocks to allow him to rest. I just couldn't get the dirt off his tail and didn't know if I should try to rub it gently with a wet cotton ball or something. Our tank is in the basement and it's never more than 68 and right now it's probably closer to 65.

Is there a way to make it eat? I offer it a wax worm, which they normally love, and he's turning his head away.

I think he still looks pretty good except for the gross tail. I am hoping it falls off soon.

Here are a few photos:

3photo-M.jpg

i-PX7J7qh-L.jpg

i-qc2QVkm-L.jpg

Canyon

Reaction score
I had hoped I would get some more input about how to take care of my tiger but ended up with him at the vet. They amputated his tail and gave me meds and powdered food. After completing his round of antibiotics and living in a recuperation box, he was put back into his tank and has eaten normally again. Unfortunately I found out that he had been our larger of the 2 tigers and he's now missing his nice tail.

Oh well...$90 later at least I know he's not going to die.;)

kay

Reaction score
Good to hear! In terms of the lack of responses, it is probably due to the fact there was little anyone could really say to help you, in regards to treatment. Most people, of course I'm speaking mainly about myself, would have suggested that the tail would need to be amputated anyway; and in that case, it is wise to spend the money and time and take him to a vet to properly do that.

Glad to hear he is doing well. Cheers,
Kayla.

Last edited:

Canyon

Reaction score
Just an update, it's been about a week or so that my Tiger is back in his big tank. He's eating and doing well. Just minus his pretty tail. ;)

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That is great to hear! Again, I am sorry that you did not receive more help. I think you did the absolute best option, however, by taking him to a vet. I hope his recovery continues to go so well!
Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!