Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Wanted: tips and advice on floor coverings and moss carpet.

jeneral

Reaction score
Hi :happy:

Does anyone have any advice on easy to look after floor coverings for axolotls? When I first set up my tank I used large stones (bigger than the axies head) which trapped alot of muck. I recently moved them into a nice 4ft tank and put sand on the bottom thinking it will look nice but instead it just covers all my decorations, plants and axies, and gets sucked into my filter. The gravel vac I use to clean the bottom doesnt pick anything up because it is stuck to the sand and I have noticed the last 2 batches of eggs that were laid in this tank don't seem to have uniform jelly sacks around them (the first batch laid in the gravel tank looked perfect).

I have decided to get rid of the sand and leave a bare floor for now. Does anyone have any suggestions on easy to clean substrates? I saw some you tube clips on how to make moss walls/carpets and thought that might look good but I havent been able to find pictures of the finished product to decide if its what I really want. Does anyone have any experience/advice they can offer me?

Thanks for your help in advance
Jenna

Jossie

Reaction score
I've never had that problem with sand (I just use play-sand from bunnings). And the only reason ever gets in my suction vacuum is because I stick the end into the sand, and often it just settles again.
I'm a fan of the sand now! But everyone is different.

I've seen some walls people did with java moss, or something similar to that and mesh, I'm guessing you could do this horizontally and suction cup it down or weight it with decorations or stones. But I have no idea how you would clean it.

I don't think the egg coats would have to do with the substrate, unless it's because the sand in the water is stressing your girl, or maybe the stress from the move. I'm no expert though.

jeneral

Reaction score
I got play sand from a local garden centre. I washed it before I used it and when I first put it in it looked great and I was heaps happy with it but that was short lived. When I use my vacuum, I hold it a few cm above the sand so I don't suck up the sand but that doesn't seem to get any of the muck so I have to put it real close. I have actually had more success using my fish net to stir up the bottom a bit and collect it that way.

I think I will continue to ask questions about the moss carpet before I commit to it.

My girls don't seem stressed. They eat well and act as relaxed as ever. I keep an eye on their tail tips as I know that when they curl it is a sign of stress and that seems fine as well.

Have you had problems with sand in their eyes? I see it sitting on their skin which makes me wonder if it can damage their eyes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!