Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Presence of T.alpestis in England?

simon

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I read recently that T.alpestris and T.carnifex have been found living wild in england. Can anyone confirm this and where these newts are. Are they thriving or just hanging on?

Cheers
Si

caleb

Reaction score
I've not actually seen either of these wild in the UK, but I do have second-hand knowledge of some of the sites.

There's one well-known site in Surrey where carnifex have bred for many years. There are also cristatus here, and some research done in the late 90s found that carnifex and cristatus were hybridising there. This site also has alpestris.

There are loads of other sites where alpestris have survived and bred successfully. I've heard of colonies in Scotland, Tyne & Wear, Shropshire, Berkshire and Kent. I was told a couple of years ago that the Kent colonies were still going strong.

simon

Reaction score
I don't suppose you know whereabouts in Kent the colony is do you? I might pay it a visit as i'v never seen a wild alpestris before

justin

Reaction score
Caleb, do you have a copy of that research of the hybridizaton? I would be very interested in reading it.
Justin

W

william

Simon, i don't know the locality, sorry. what i do know is that only look at the species without picking it up, as soon as you put it down again, your breaking the law.

F

francesco

If alpestris is not a native species in Britain why is it against the law to collect them from the wild?

F

francesco

If alpestris is not a native species in Britain why is it against the law to collect them from the wild?

simon

Reaction score
I don't think the law is talking about the collection but more of the fact that once you have put it back, you are essentially putting an alien species into the area which may compete with cristatus. I'm not sure though.

W

william

yeah it's reintroducing the species, it's okay to take them out, just not to put them back in again. however this species is not known to compete with any native species. At least in the Shropshire population anyway

A

adam

I disagree with the idea of alpestris being non competitive species, I know of 3 populations which have been established deliberately. For some years, the alpestris so inhabited the ponds with L. hel & L. vul for some years but eventually the other species became very scarce or even extinct in these ponds. A sure sign that alpestris are very dangerous competitors. I am also sure that many people could confirm this situation in captivity.
Adam

W

william

well in the Shropshire colony, there have been reports of ponds with all three native species and the alpestris, so there doesn't seem to be any problem. i don't know anything about the other British colonies, however what you say goes against everything i've been told.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!