Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best Newt foods

W

william

What do you guys have the best sucess with? I have tried feeding my Paramesotriton fuzhongensis bloodworms and live earthworms whole and cut up but they refuse to feed. I have had them for a week and a half are they just refusing because they are still stressed out or does this species not like earthworms or bloodworms?

S

steffen

If they dont take bllodworms (Tubifex), then it must be the stress. Transport as well as new environment really make sals and newts feel uncomfortable for some days.

Regarding earthworms: many will not take the so-called Tennessee Wiggler (Eisenia foetida) as it produces a yellow liquid stinking like a skunk (at least close to). Some eat them without problems. Best let the worms stay in clean soil without organic consumptable material then they will "smell" better.

Best food in general are all kind of earthworms, then crickets, woodlice, blanched snail-meat (wild snails can and will contain dangerous parasites! especially Nematodes, and other parasitic worms). In summer I feed grashoppers and crickets from my yard without problems. Snails (with or without shell) only blanched (pre-boiled). Newts will as well take mussel meat which carries no harm for parasites (not for neotenous specimen as Axolotl because of the contained iodine).

Butterflies, caterpillars, and spiders often carry a wide variety of parasites and I dont feed them anymore.

best food for juveniles are Drosophila and when a little more grown Buffalo Worms plus small crickets. See jow they explode in size!

I add minerals and vitamins as used for reptiles to the food for feeders resp. powder them before feeding to my sals and newts.

Steffen

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks for that info Steffen.

I have heard of Neurergus kaiseri being fed aquatically with snails that have no shells. Are these snails from which the snails have been removed, or some sort of snail that does not have a shell to begin with. I'd love to find some of these for my newts, but have never seen such a thing sold here in Japan before.

I have tried feeding earthworms purchased from my local bait shop, but the salamanders I fed them to immediately spit them out....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!